Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 4
have two 15 year old children that entered the work force last year.
They received W-2 wage summaries for 2012:

One earned $222.93
The other earned $1580

Just an additional suggestion. You might want to suggest to them that they put something into a Roth IRA. My kids always did that with earnings, and it worked out well. I wanted them to max it all out, so I used to match their contributions in the Roth so that they could save half, and have half for spending, but with my matching, they were able to save 100% of their income in a Roth.

If you think about it, a Roth is the perfect savings vehicle for them since the dollars going in are after-tax dollars, but they don't make enough to pay any tax at all, and everything coming out on the other side is also not subject to tax, under today's tax rules.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.