Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
have two similar situations:

1. Vignette merged into Open Text.
- I received a payout for the number of shares I had, which showed up as a long-term gain on 1099-B.
- I received 5 shares of Open Text and the value of the stock on the day of the merger also showed up as a long-term gain on 1099-B.
- Cash in lieu for fractional shares of Open Text was listed under short-term gain on 1099-B.
- I still hold the Open Text shares.

2. Wendy's spun off Tim Horton's and then Tim Horton's had a reorganization which led to it becoming a Canadian company which became a taxable event. This shows up on 1099-B.
-I still hold both Wendys and TH shares.

How do I account for these in terms of taxes and cost basis?

Both of these are complex transactions. You need to find the relevant information in the prospectus you received before the merger or from the corporations' Investor Relations website. You will probably need to run a series of calculations to determine how much, if any, of the proceeds are taxable, how much is a return of capital, and what your cost basis is in any shares you hold after the merger/reorganization transactions.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.