Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Have you considered a QCD from the inherited traditional IRA to fund the endowment?

That was our first thought, but we are 62 and 63 (and 65 for my SIL). My understanding is that a QCD requires that you have required minimum distributions.

If you have appreciated stock, it might be to your advantage to use it for part of the endowment. The annual deduction is limited to 30% of AGI.

The stock was not in any kind of trust, so its appreciation is largely irrelevant to us. We think (i.e., we have not yet seen the actual listing of holdings) that a substantial portion is in dividend and preferred stocks -- which would dovetail nicely with our current portfolio (mostly growth-oriented mutual funds) without our having to do anything.

Thanks for the heads-up on the K-1 -- that will be a new one for me.

Kathleen
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.