No. of Recommendations: 0
Have you read the paper yet? My guess is no. Please read the actual paper.

I'll try when I get a chance, but I do have a day job. I still wonder though what point you are trying to make about this paper and where it is you think we disagree.

One dictionary definition is: the ability to act at one's own discretion. By that definition, Libet does not disprove free will, since it's still your brain acting, even if you aren't aware of everything that's going on. Of course, it naturally follows that AlphaGo also has free will, which I think would upset the majority of free will proponents.

I don't understand why it naturally follows that a Go program has free will. I mean it might but I don't see how it naturally follows from "acting at one's own discretion". Can AlphaGo choose to make a Go move "at its discretion" that it has assessed will lose the game?

At the other extreme, you have the free will where you are completely aware of why you're doing something.

What does omniscience have to do with free will? It is pretty easy for me to imagine having free will in the absence of complete knowledge about intentions.

My chief complaint is that, after all that work, you still haven't addressed whether the actions are nonrandom. As far as I can tell, you can never determine this given the structure of nonrandom indeterminacy. If I'm right, then nonrandom indeterminacy suffers from the same fatal flaw as intelligent design. There's no way to ever test the hypothesis.

Not sure why you would say this. It is possible to test whether something is determined (caused by something else). It is also possible to assess whether an event is at least likely to be random. Given that I don't see why someone clever couldn't test whether an event is both indeterminate and nonrandom.

Maybe that begins with asking questions, such as: If you don't really know why you do something, can you still have free will?

Seems to me the only thing you really need to know is whether you are doing what you consciously chose to do. If you consciously chose to do something and find yourself doing something else that is a good sign you don't have free will. Does that happen often?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.