No. of Recommendations: 5
I haven't really looked at my FICO score since buying my first house years back. I pay my bills on time, and have paid my CC balances every in full every month for the last several years.

Since the Amex Costco card went away, I just switched to using a citibank card. After creating a user account on the Citi website, I see that one perk of the card is that your FICO score is available to view for free.

My FICO is 847 today.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 11
jeffbrig,

You wrote, My FICO is 847 today.

You made me look. I get mine thru Discover Card. Quoting Discover,

Congratulations! Your 850 FICO® Credit Score on 06/19/16 is the highest score
possible and does not have any associated key factors.

Wow. Never seen that.

- Joel
Also as reported by my Discover card online account site...

"Christian, your FICO® Credit Score is 842"

Damnit. Stupid eight points. I will get you one day Joel! Critical factor is, "too many accounts with balances." I've got four credit cards and two mortgages. I don't know who this fico guy is, but he needs to get his act together. Eight points. I'd like to feed that fico guy eight of his teeth.

xtn
No. of Recommendations: 6
I didn't know FICO scores was a contest.

PSU
No. of Recommendations: 4

I bet I have more Coke Reward points than you.

--James "As long as we're comparing arbitrary yardsticks" Brown

PSU

Awwww. that's cute.

xtn
No. of Recommendations: 3
Awwww. that's cute.

I hear that everyday.

PSU

Sort of like the CAPS thing. It is only a contest if you care about what others have for a score.
No. of Recommendations: 8
My little FICO is about 830, but my wife doesn't complain because she has never seen one bigger.
No. of Recommendations: 0
joelcorley is already one of your Favorite Fools. - TMFServer!!!
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi xtn,

842! Congratulations! I think that may well be the highest I've heard anyone have. That annoying 850 is some magical number that is elusive to everyone. There's some mystical algorithm that supposedly has a max of 850, but truly, it seems an unsolvable mystery to attain.

Regardless, you are a rock star as far as your Fico score.

I'm well over 800 myself, and might've possibly been right there with you...had I not been such a good guy and agreed to consign for a Ford truck for my godson. Thankfully, he's totally trustworthy, and has kept up a perfect record now for about 2 years to date. Doing this didn't destroy my rating, but it certainly caused some damage from all the pinging that dang dealership did. This should be a warning for everyone, btw. When a dealership tells you they have to run your credit, they fail to tell you that they run your credit up to 5 times checking different rates. The result of this is a drop in your score for every time your credit gets checked for this. It took me quite a while to get my number back up to where it should be.

Anyway, again, congratulations on your stellar number!

Best,
Tony
No. of Recommendations: 2
Welcome back to the board, Tony. Long time no see.

That annoying 850 is some magical number that is elusive to everyone. There's some mystical algorithm that supposedly has a max of 850, but truly, it seems an unsolvable mystery to attain.

Looks like you might have missed Joel's post: http://boards.fool.com/jeffbrig-you-wrote-my-fico-is-847-tod...

AJ
TMF2Aruba,

You wrote, 842! Congratulations! I think that may well be the highest I've heard anyone have. That annoying 850 is some magical number that is elusive to everyone. There's some mystical algorithm that supposedly has a max of 850, but truly, it seems an unsolvable mystery to attain.

Skimming the thread, are we?

I posted that I had that mythical 850 FICO™ score last month according to Discover Card.

What I haven't posted is that CreditKarma says I only have an 829 on their FAKEY™ score.

Apparently turning my financial nose up at Discover Card except for the occasional 5% cash-back offer makes me seem like Discover Card's perfect customer. :-)

But perhaps CreditKarma knows my flaws and imperfections better?

- Joel
Hi AJ!

Thanks for the Welcome back! You're right, I did miss that post. Thanks you for pointing me to it. :)

Best,
Tony
Hi Joel!

Yep, CreditKarma definitely has their own mysterious way of tossing out numbers which while representative, are definitely not definitive and accurate scores. Of course, in the big picture, it probably makes little difference.

I get my score from Experian which wants to charge me $15/month for the privilege. What I do is call them each year to cancel and they then offer me the service for $7/mo if I don't cancel. Still, really an unnecessary expense, but I do like keeping a look at my numbers.

Best,
Tony
Yep, CreditKarma definitely has their own mysterious way of tossing out numbers which while representative, are definitely not definitive and accurate scores. Of course, in the big picture, it probably makes little difference.

I get my score from Experian which wants to charge me $15/month for the privilege. What I do is call them each year to cancel and they then offer me the service for $7/mo if I don't cancel. Still, really an unnecessary expense, but I do like keeping a look at my numbers.

There are many different credit scores used for many different purposes. Even the FICO score differs among credit bureaus. Bank of America gives me my TransUnion FicoScore 8. CreditKarma gives a VantageScore 3.0 for TransUnion and Equifax. For myself, the FICO and VantageScore scores from TransUnion differ by 29 points, while the VantageScore TransUnion and Equifax scores differ by 23 points. So for me at least, the difference between credit bureaus is similar to the difference in score formulas.

NerdWallet has an article on all this:

You don’t have just one credit score — you have hundreds, and they change constantly.

The scores most commonly used in lending decisions ... are known as FICO scores. VantageScore ... is its main competitor.

It’s also not uncommon for a lender or retailer to tweak a score slightly to customize it. ... Auto loan scores, for example, weigh whether you’ve made your car payments on time in the past more heavily than some other scores do. You have specialty scores developed for credit cards, auto insurance and mortgages, as well.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/finance/comparing-credit-sco...
My wife TELLS me she's never been with a bigger Fico, but I think she's just being nice.

xtn
842! Congratulations! I think that may well be the highest I've heard anyone have.

Thanks, but Joel just said he had the eight-fiddy.

When a dealership tells you they have to run your credit, they fail to tell you that they run your credit up to 5 times checking different rates. The result of this is a drop in your score for every time your credit gets checked for this.

FICO is "supposed" to take into account multiple hits within a small time frame and consider it a "single" purchasing event. But I dunno how well or poorly it does so.

xtn
When a dealership tells you they have to run your credit, they fail to tell you that they run your credit up to 5 times checking different rates.

Tony,

Currently, multiple hard inquiries in a short time, normally 14 days, should be counted as one hard inquiry. Dealerships routinely check rates with different sources and each may require a separate inquiry.

Hard inquiries remain on your credit report for two years, but only affect your credit score for 1 year.

Since the assignment was two years ago, the inquiries are no longer affecting your credit score and either have fallen off your credit report or will do so soon.
FICO is "supposed" to take into account multiple hits within a small time frame and consider it a "single" purchasing event. But I dunno how well or poorly it does so.

They do it very poorly, xtn. To be honest with you, it was a case where I dropped the ball. Instead of dealing with the dealership, had I simply gone to my own bank, I'd have not had my report pinged like that, and I'd have most certainly gotten my godson a lower rate. My brain was definitely not engaged at that time. :)

Best,
Tony
Tony,

Currently, multiple hard inquiries in a short time, normally 14 days, should be counted as one hard inquiry. Dealerships routinely check rates with different sources and each may require a separate inquiry.

Hard inquiries remain on your credit report for two years, but only affect your credit score for 1 year.

Since the assignment was two years ago, the inquiries are no longer affecting your credit score and either have fallen off your credit report or will do so soon.

That's exactly what's happened, vkg. I chalk it all up to a learning experience.

Best,
Tony
Thanks, but Joel just said he had the eight-fiddy.

Wow! That's awesome!

I'm actually fairly close to that as well, but I'll almost certainly never attain the maximum number. I am sure I have far too much available credit, and it doesn't help that I have 4 major credit cards.

One card I've had for about 25 years, with a ridiculous credit line of about $45k. This is one that's hardly used anymore, but I'm reluctant to drop it because of the long term history. My looking into this has shown that cancelling this card may actually be detrimental to my score.

The other 3 cards are ones that I shuffle to make work for me. One gives me cash back, one gives me JetBlue points (I never pay for flights to Aruba because of it), and the 3rd gives me Hawaiian Air points which allow me the luxury of flying 1st class to Hawaii (hey, why not?!).

Of course, I never have, nor never will carry a balance on any card, and each month, the bill is paid in full automatically from my checking account.

I've always believed that the only way to make credit cards work is to make them work for you, and to get the perks.

And since I mentioned travel, I'll use my old tagline here.... ;-)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
TMF2Aruba,

You wrote, I am sure I have far too much available credit, and it doesn't help that I have 4 major credit cards.

Not sure those would affect you much. I have 5 major credit cards, plus a store card. My lines of credit are well over half my annual gross income. But of course gross income doesn't count with credit scoring.

- Joel
Joel,

My FICO based on Transunion data is a puny 845, but based on Equifax data is, today, 850 BEOTCH!

xtn
xtn,

You wrote, My FICO based on Transunion data is a puny 845, but based on Equifax data is, today, 850 BEOTCH!

Wow! They must just be handing out 850s left and right these days... ;-)

- Joel
My FICO based on Transunion data is a puny 845, but based on Equifax data is, today, 850 BEOTCH!

So?
So?

So I'm in a self-declared competition with Joel.

xtn
They must just be handing out 850s left and right these days... ;-)

I'm going to nickname you "The Great Deflator."

xtn