No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm surprised I don't see at least one post concerning the Pope's announcement that he was leaving the end of this month due to health reasons. That's big news.....it's never been done.

I think he's courageous in doing it. His health is failing and I can't see the benefit of a person who cannot contribute all that much to the health of the church.

I'm not a Catholic but I'd like to hope they'll elect someone in their 50's as Pope, to give him the advantage of good health and a slower rate of cognitive decline.

It was pitiful watching Pope Paul decline.

LD
Print the post Back To Top
they'll probably elect a 'young' 68 year old......

Face it..the Popes are leaders of the 10th century......

t.
Full text of Pope's declaration:

Dear Brothers,I have convoked you to this Consistory, not only for the three canonizations, but also to communicate to you a decision of great importance for the life of the Church. After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry. I am well aware that this ministry, due to its essential spiritual nature, must be carried out not only with words and deeds, but no less with prayer and suffering. However, in today’s world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to govern the bark of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognize my incapacity to adequately fulfil...l the ministry entrusted to me. For this reason, and well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter, entrusted to me by the Cardinals on 19 April 2005, in such a way, that as from 28 February 2013, at 20:00 hours, the See of Rome, the See of Saint Peter, will be vacant and a Conclave to elect the new Supreme Pontiff will have to be convoked by those whose competence it is.
Dear Brothers, I thank you most sincerely for all the love and work with which you have supported me in my ministry and I ask pardon for all my defects. And now, let us entrust the Holy Church to the care of Our Supreme Pastor, Our Lord Jesus Christ, and implore his holy Mother Mary, so that she may assist the Cardinal Fathers with her maternal solicitude, in electing a new Supreme Pontiff. With regard to myself, I wish to also devotedly serve the Holy Church of God in the future through a life dedicated to prayer. From the Vatican, 10 February 2013 BENEDICTUS PP XVI
No. of Recommendations: 1
From a friend:

Nobemus papam?

I woke up to learn that the Pope has planned to resign. Now several things will happen:

1) The sedevacantists are going to be temporarily right (until the new pope gets elected, lol).
2) Liberals of all stripes are going to delude themselves into thinking that the cardinals are somehow going to elect a bigtime liberal fellow who will change Catholic doctrine to "catch up with the times." I look forward to their disappointment.

3) During the papal election I will be fervently hoping and praying for a hardliner who will clean house even more so than the last one did.
Liberals of all stripes are going to delude themselves into thinking that the cardinals are somehow going to elect a bigtime liberal fellow who will change Catholic doctrine to "catch up with the times." I look forward to their disappointment.

Well, there are no more meatless Fridays, so anything could happen.
No. of Recommendations: 3
I think he's [the Pope] courageous in doing it.
---------------

Me too. It's a great precedent. The Supremes should think about that. Especially the liberal ones. <g>

arrete
"That's big news.....it's never been done."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Until the proper time arises, who is going to tell the Pope he
cannot resign?

Howie52
2) Liberals of all stripes are going to delude themselves into thinking that the cardinals are somehow going to elect a bigtime liberal fellow who will change Catholic doctrine to "catch up with the times." I look forward to their disappointment.

There is no hope that anyone in touch with reality will be elected as pope.
"There is no hope that anyone in touch with reality will be elected as pope." - vkg

I'm hoping his name will be Peter.

Art
No. of Recommendations: 2
"There is no hope that anyone in touch with reality will be elected as pope." - vkg

Art

-------------------

Pope Arthur has a nice ring to it.
------------------
"I'm hoping his name will be Peter." - Art
-------------------
"Pope Arthur has a nice ring to it." - Bighairymike

-----------------------

Yeah, just what the Catholic Church wants as their next Pope, a crazy old fat guy that believes in near death experiences, death bed visions, and the holographic nature of the universe. The "everybody goes to heaven Pope!"

That would stir the Catholic Church up..... <grin!>

Art
The "everybody goes to heaven Pope!"

I believe everybody goes there. Not everyone gets to stay.
The "everybody goes to heaven Pope!"

That would stir the Catholic Church up.....

Unbiblical utterances rarely stir up the Catholic Church.
"The "everybody goes to heaven Pope!" That would stir the Catholic Church up." - Art
---------------------
"Unbiblical utterances rarely stir up the Catholic Church." - Josh

---------------------

Way back in the good old days of the Inquisition they'd just burn me at the stake as a heretic and have done with it. Let God sort it out.

Those Catholics were a fun bunch!

Art
Way back in the good old days of the Inquisition they'd just burn me at the stake as a heretic and have done with it. Let God sort it out.

Protestants burned people at the stakes too.
"Protestants burned people at the stakes too." - Josh
------------------

??? What's that called in debating parlance? Bringing up something that has nothing to do with what we were talking about? I know there's a name for it. Trying to throw me off track? We weren't talking about Protestants. I believe we were talking about Catholics?
----------
Argument # 4: The "invisible pink unicorn / dragon in the garage" false comparison tactic.

Typical Usage: "Of course I can't prove that God, spirits, UFO’s, paranormal phenomena or metaphysical realities don't exist, but you can't prove to me that invisible pink unicorns don't exist either."

The comparison used in this skeptical argument is notoriously common, yet severely flawed and ludicrous. It is often more of a belittling tactic than a reasoned logical argument."

http://www.victorzammit.com/skeptics/winston.html#4

Art
It's called ignorance of history and being selectively critical of things others have done without realizing your own theological forefathers did the same thing.

Fun huh?
...it's never been done.

In modern history. There have been at least 5 popes that have resigned, the last being in 1415.

JLC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_resignation
invisible pink unicorn

Only if said unicorn poops Skittles.
There is no hope that anyone in touch with reality will be elected as pope." - vkg
------------------
-------------------
-----------------------

Yeah, just what the Catholic Church wants as their next Pope, a crazy old fat guy that believes in near death experiences, death bed visions, and the holographic nature of the universe. The "everybody goes to heaven Pope!"

That would stir the Catholic Church up..... <grin!>

Art

-------------------

Heh. "Everybody goes to heaven". THAT is a winning slogan. I can see the the bumper stickers and yard signs already.
"Everybody goes to heaven"

First, of course, everybody has to die:-(

~aj
"It's called ignorance of history and being selectively critical of things others have done without realizing your own theological forefathers did the same thing. Fun huh?" - Josh
---------------

???? You haven't been listening. I'm the NDE, Death bed Vision, holographic universe guy. As far as I know none of my "theological forefathers" are guilty of roasting anyone alive. If anything I'm sort of a Taoist/Spiritualist, near death experience, death bed vision, quantum physics & holographic universe believer.

In my belief system everyone goes to heaven and there is no hell and it's irrelevant what you believe. The soul's lessons are embedded in our daily lives and it is holistically imprinted with what it needs to learn regardless of who you are, or what you believe, or where you live.

You will be unassimilated and resistance is futile.

Now back to the Catholic Church....

Art
Far out man. Don't bogart that joint my friend, pass it over to me.
No. of Recommendations: 2
-------------------

-----------------------

I'd like to see an American pope with a cool name like Freddie the First.
Or maybe a Pope Roxanne, who'd take a hip-hop name like P-Rox.
But that's just me.

~aj
"Heh. "Everybody goes to heaven". THAT is a winning slogan. I can see the the bumper stickers and yard signs already." - Bighairymike
----------------

Yeah, Josh was talking about my theological forefathers roasting people alive? As far as I know Dr. Raymond Moody, Dr. Kenneth Ring, Dr. Michael Sabom, Dr. Melvin Morse, and Michael Talbot haven't burned anyone at the stake yet?

Although Dr. Melvin Morse M.D. a pediatric oncologist did try and induce a near death experience in his stepdaughter and got in big trouble for it. He waterboarded her by holding her head under running water for what reason I don't know. It makes me kind of sad because he wrote some really good books about near death experiences.

Melvin Morse, Pediatrician Accused Of Waterboarding Stepdaughter, Says He Is Victim Of State Hysteria
By RANDALL CHASE 08/14/12 06:15 PM ET AP

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/14/melvin-morse-pediat...

Art
"First, of course, everybody has to die:-(" - ~aj

If you believe you are your physical body then yes, you are right, first your physical body has to die.

My sister-in-law, Pam, had a dream a couple of days after her father, RD, died. In the dream Pam was back in the hospital with her father and he was still alive. Pam exclaimed to RD, "Daddy you're still alive! We need to call a nurse and let her know." So Pam turned towards the door and at that moment she saw her father walking through the door in the brightly lit hallway accompanied by another man.

I told Pam that it was her father communicating with her. I told her that he was trying to tell her three things. #1. That he is still alive. #2. That dying is as easy as walking through a door. #3. That when you die you are accompanied by a guide or someone you knew who has crossed over.

A couple of years before he died RD said to me one time, "everyone I know is dead." RD was 86 years old when he said that. He was talking about everyone he knew of his generation, his relatives, etc. I imagine there were quite a few people waiting there in the Light who knew RD.

My wife told me that a few months ago, Vangie, MIL & RD's wife, told my wife (Bonnie) that she had a dream about Rd. In the dream she could hear RD singing in the next room. Vangie said that she could hear RD but not see him. I told my wife that I thought RD was trying to tell Vangie that he was as close as the next room and that if she listened she could hear him, even though she couldn't see him.

Art
In my belief system everyone goes to heaven and there is no hell and it's irrelevant what you believe.

My bad, I forgot that you go to church to socialize and that you don't really have any beliefs but just a belief system. Got it!

I met George who thought alot like you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgiQPdPUNvs
...it's never been done.

In modern history. There have been at least 5 popes that have resigned, the last being in 1415.

JLC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_resignation

>>>>>>>>
well JLC, that was way before my time, so what was it like then? :)

Art

That would be interesting, in light of the 12th-century prophecies of St. Malachy. According to him, there is just one more Pope left before the destruction of Rome, the end of the world, and the great Judgment Day. Malachy labeled this last Pope as "Peter the Roman".

There is a black guy named Peter Something-or-Other, from I don't know what country, who is up as one of the possible candidates.
"It's called ignorance of history and being selectively critical of things others have done without realizing your own theological forefathers did the same thing. Fun huh?" - Josh
---------------

???? You haven't been listening. I'm the NDE, Death bed Vision, holographic universe guy. As far as I know none of my "theological forefathers" are guilty of roasting anyone alive. - Art

Well, my "theological forefathers", if by that is meant ancestors, were Swiss Mennonites who never roasted anybody and who were persecuted by both the Catholics and the Protestants back in the 16th and 17th centuries, for such "heresies" as believing in adult baptism. One such ancestor, about 14 generations back, was Adam Näf, who fought in the Battle of Kappel in 1531 -- basically a religious war -- and was awarded a house for his efforts. The house was named "Näfenhaus" and still stands today in the village of Kappel am Albis, Switzerland, where it is now a museum run by the Näf Family Foundation.

My Mennonite ancestors fled Switzerland for Germany due to religious persecution, found they had the same problems there, and then fled to America (Pennsylvania Dutch Country) in the early 1700s.
------------------------
"That would be interesting, in light of the 12th-century prophecies of St. Malachy. According to him, there is just one more Pope left before the destruction of Rome, the end of the world, and the great Judgment Day. Malachy labeled this last Pope as "Peter the Roman". There is a black guy named Peter Something-or-Other, from I don't know what country, who is up as one of the possible candidates." andrew

------------------

I love conspiracy theories and prophecies and stuff like that so it would be fun if the next pope is named Peter. Add a little bit of excitement to our lives.

Art