No. of Recommendations: 0
Having heat coils inside a floor above the target area will contribute an incredibly small amount of comfort to the room below it. Most of the heat will rise and be a low-energy source of heat in the room above.

It's an excavated crawl space. The ceiling is already barely 8' tall. By the time I crib down a couple inches to clear the overhead pipes (not to mention a full foot for the heating ducts) there's no way I'm going to add 3" or 4" to the floor, so I need to get some (not a lot) of heat into the room from the sides. Or I could possibly run radiant heat in the ceiling joists with some sort of reflective shield above to try to get the heat downward into the room(s) instead of up into the 1st floor.

It's a basement ranch, so only one side is exposed to the weather, the other three are entirely or mostly buried. In the summer, for instance, I don't need the slightest bit of A/C down here. In the winter I ran a small space heater which did the trick - but I'd rather find a better way to do that than resistance heating, or cutting holes in the ducts (although that's a possibility.)

Yes, I can run a low level fan to circulate air in the room.

I have sun. Too much sun. So much sun that we have to put the shades down on the sun side of the first floor of the house a good part of the day otherwise it gets blistering hot inside - even in winter. I'd like to put up some panels to capture it and bring the heat inside, so "where to distribute?" (I will also have solar electric panels, but not enough of either to go completely neutral.)

Anyway, xtn tells me "heat is heat", which I sort of thought. If I can get it in, then all I have to do is move it around some. As always additional comments welcome.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.