Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Having launched a tirade against right-wingers, I thought I should moderate my comments.

I'm by no means denigrating all comment from right-wing sources, or praising lefty media (which can be pretty bad). Nor everything posted by a right-winger such as yourself. For example, the articles for which you posted links to the board (Afghan-American's comments and the Jewish journalist visiting an Islamic school in Pakistan) were extremely interesting, and I don't find fault with them.

Even PJ O'Rourke, who often deserves the criticisms I made of right-wingers, is often insightful, and certainly seems closer to the mark re Cuba than many left-wing commentators who excuse the dictatorship (their ideology leading them into exactly the same kinds of logical and moral problems I find with right-wingers).

Arguments should not be rejected because they are undesirable or because of their source, rather than on their merits. If Pauline Hanson asks a reasonable question (it's happened at least once) then it should be dealt with reasonably. And someone from the left, or a critic of the establishment, deserves the same treatment.

Barcoo, you make general assertions about the rightness of the US in its actions and how on balance they're really okay. I have given a number of responses, with historical examples and moral arguments which are no doubt uncomfortable to a patriotic supporter of the US or Australian or UK state. And you ignore those responses, asserting the benevolence of American foreign policy while refusing to discuss East Timor and brushing off Western culpability for Middle Eastern monsters Bin Laden and Saddam, implying that it's okay for masses of innocent people to die (avoidably) because we don't like their dictator (even if we put him there). You can't really expect me to take you seriously, when you deliberately refuse to face the mirror of history.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.