No. of Recommendations: 2
Having set up several ambitious trips (e.g., 8 cities across Germany/Switzerland in 12 days) my trip suggestion is to first make a list of all of the places you would like to see. Then usually it is too large and remove the least favorite ones.

Next I use the Swiss web site for my Europe trips (just seems easier for me to get train times) and create a matrix in Excel with the time and # of stops between each pair of cities. Also, later double check on your dates to make sure the train is running, sometimes the 3 hr direct train isn't or is running once a day and you may end up on the 5 hr 3 train change itinerary.

This way I can see realistic travel times and eliminate some more cities and then use the train times to optimize my routing. Sometimes two cities further apart on a map will have shorter travel times than two closer ones because of the track routing and/or high speed vs. regional trains.

I also print out the train times and locations of train changes for the times I'm most likely to travel. That helps me a lot. I can read the schedules at the stations to get from A to B but haven't gotten the grasp of figuring out where the changes are.

Gimmelwald is not an easy place to get to without a number of train changes (kind of like Rothenburg). Even from some place like Bern you have 3 changes of trains. It seems to have a cult following from Rick Steves.

You'd be better off flying from Vienna to Zurich although once I'm on the ground in Europe I try to avoid flying anywhere.

If you do head over to Switzerland I'd recommend using Bern as a base since it is convenient to much of Switzerland and I liked the city. Also I used Grindelwald as a base to explore Jungfroch (probably messed up that spelling) and found the small town very nice and a bit easier to get to. We stayed at Hotel Cabana, the owner was very nice (very particular on things) but had very good prices on the minibar and when it was time to get a taxi to the train station (walkable but it was uphill in the winter with snow on the ground) she instead drove us there herself.

Good luck with the planning.

Rich
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.