No. of Recommendations: 2

For contributions, the pubs like 590-A, specify money, not property.

Pub 590-A (2015), pg 7:

Contributions, except for rollover contributions, must be in cash.

For distributions, there is no specification made.

There are examples of mixed distributions and how the components may and may not be handled mostly relating to rollovers sent to the owner, not trustee-to-trustee transfers.

Since 2010, I have been doing Roth conversions each year. Money or property (stock, mutual funds, ETF's) may be transferred.

Conversions are considered to be distributions. The 1099R's specify the dollar amount and the distribution code of 7, no mention of value of the stock vs cash.

The majority of our conversions have been stock. I have not sent any to our taxable account since we still have a ways to go for RMD's.

All holdings and some stats on my profile page
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.