Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I don't know if I got those words in the right order -- that was a Nat King Cole song from a zillion years ago. And it's technically not quite summer yet. But it's hot (in the East anyway), and the market is lazy, so here we go.

In the midst of other stuff managed to catch 5 minutes of CNBC today. Typical viewing pattern for me and I have no clue who was talking. Anyway they said there was a net inflow of money into the market in a recent time period (a month? a quarter? -- I didn't catch it). I thought this was interesting, given the risk and uncertainty factors that seem to be at play. Also, as of late afternoon, I think they were saying that the Dow, and perhaps overall market, would be down for the week, which would make it yet another such week this year.

So supposedly money is flowing into equities, but at least one of the big indices is going down. Hmm...

Another fellow came on and said that the light volume showed a lack of commitment, and that the market needed to hit some new highs (perhaps he meant 12-month highs, not all-time highs) to escape its recent trading range. But he didn't think that would happen with the mood at present. He felt the market needed to go down markedly to spark a new influx of buyers.

I wonder if anybody here has a personal "mood meter" or can otherwise express what they think about the market in the short term. Personally, I think these folks were describing my own stance. If the market is going to stay in a trading range, then I'd just as soon sit on my current collection of funds (and larger piece of cash) and wait for some catalysts to show up. In the meantime, I hope that my choice of funds can give me slight gains above breakeven, which is otherwise all one would expect from sitting through a period of range-trading.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.