Silicon Valley
Game of Thrones
Doom Patrol (formerly DC Universe show)
Titans (formerly DC Universe show)
Doctor Who
The Leftovers
Boardwalk Empire
True Detective (1st season anyway)
various DC box office movies (WW, Justice League, etc)

---

Handmaids Tale new season is on Hulu...releasing 1 episode a week. Pretty good, but hasn't recaptured the magic of first season. There is so much cool stuff they could be unpacking with things like "how does the rest of world view Gilead" to more flashbacks to how the heck the USA had an internal coup like that in the first place. It has been a bit too much close-up on lead character with anguished face. And then it weirdly can drag slowly in sections and then the plot moves forward super fast. Overall I still like it.

I would also add "Made for Love" to my list of solid HBO Max originals from above.

But a lull in waiting on episodes and not having much to currently watch led me back to HBO, to rewatch a series I previously loved: The Leftovers.

Binged watch the whole series. It is scifi yet drama yet some action/comedic moments, but most of all, I just think the performances are off the charts. Ann Dowd is the actress who plays evil Aunt Lydia on Handmaids and was the arch-nemesis "Patti" who is leader of the resident cult on Leftovers. So good.

Justin Theroux is great as one of the lead characters, and his dad (Scott Glenn) both make you want to start getting in better shape. I looked up Scott Glenn this week and he is a real-life maniac pushing 80 yrs old...punching sharks, skydiving, works out with Marines or Seals.

Margaret Qualley is great for a younger actress and I couldn't figure out why she looked familiar, until I realized her mom was one of my 90s actress crushes (Andie MacDowell from Groundhog Day fame).

Chris Ecceleston (former Doctor Who), Kevin Carroll, Regina King (watch her in Watchmen series!), Liv Tyler, Amy Brenneman.

But probably best of all: Carrie Coon. I hadn't realized that was her under makeup as Proxima in Avengers Infinity Wars. But I loved her in Leftovers and in Fargo series.

This show won't be everyone's cup of tea...but if you don't dislike it, odds are you will love it.

On the Victor Von Doom scale of 1 to 100, I rate the Leftovers 95 VVDs.

Doom
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.