Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
He did not go into specifics about what those things were however.

You know the Barber retirement thing is no joke when you hear him use the word "Condi.' You know, "Condi,' as in the nickname for Condoleezza Rice, the Secretary of State. He was talking about having lunch with her at the State Department in a riff about how interesting the other side of his life is. He does work for the Fox morning show, Fox and Friends, and hosts an in-season Sirius NFL Radio show with his brother and an offseason general interest and political talk show.
--
Barber has had enough of the regimentation and the silly rules (reporting at 8:23 for an 8:30 meeting because you have to be early with the Giants to be on time) and, quite frankly, the physical pain. He told a story of getting hit so hard and so often by personal nemesis Jeremiah Trotter in Week 2 that "I couldn't lift my head off the pillow till Friday after that game.'

I've always thought it was amazing that athletes will endure such pain to play when they've got good money socked away. Barber's not Michael Jordan rich, but he's probably made $30 million in his 10 NFL seasons. He lives on Manhattan's East Side in an upscale building with his wife, Ginny, and two boys, and he bought the apartment next door so her parents could move in and be close to them. So he's not living like a pauper. Let's say he's got a $10 million nest egg, though I'm sure that's conservative.

If you've got a brain in your head and you have options off the field, why wouldn't it be a preferred option to walk away...

MMQB
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.