Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt asks Jonathan Alter about his fellow Obama bum kisser Clarence Page's statement:

Hewitt: And here is what Clarence Page, he stunned me on my program earlier this week, by doubting the president's veracity when he made that statement. Here's the exchange with Clarence.

Hewitt: He knew he was lying?

Page: Probably. Probably. But that's one of those political lies.

Hewitt: Do you agree with Clarence?

Alter: Wow. I don't know exactly how to react to that, because first of all, I don't know when the statement was that he made it, that he made when he said you know, you absolutely will be able to--was that in 2008? Was that in early 2009?

Hewitt: He said it many, many times throughout 2009 when he was selling the bill.

Alter: Yeah, so I think where Clarence is right is that politicians in order to get stuff through, they often make a lot of nice-sounding promises that they then can't necessarily keep. But it's very, in terms of whether he lied or not, I think it's very important to know whether he said it before or after the law was passed.

Hewitt: If he said it after, if he said it before the law was passed.

Alter: It was a moving target. If he said it before the law was passed, then I wouldn't call it a lie, because, you know, the law went through a number of permutations. If he said it after the law was passed, then he knew that wasn't going to be true.
Print the post Back To Top

so I think where Clarence is right is that politicians in order to get stuff through, they often make a lot of nice-sounding promises that they then can't necessarily keep

Yeah: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/ff/Bush_mission_a...
No. of Recommendations: 1
Bush lied. That negates anything that Obama does.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I think you missed the point. Bush made false statements and did unethical things to get re-elected like all presidents do.

If you want to back an honest, ethical, and sincere person to be president, you'll probably be backing someone that gets 2% of the vote.
So I just should not point these things out?... Because they are just doing like all presidents do?

So I just should not point these things out?... Because they are just doing like all presidents do?

After you point out it out six-hundred times, it’s not about pointing it out.

Obama is the President. If he told you that paying for healthcare in the nation will be be a burden on all the freeloaders that have been skating along for free (the honest and ethical thing to say) we’d have another President today who’d lie and scheme to get re-elected to a second term.
" Obama is the President. If he told you that paying for healthcare in the nation will be be a burden on all the freeloaders that have been skating along for free (the honest and ethical thing to say) we’d have another President today who’d lie and scheme to get re-elected to a second term. "

A thousand pardons. I should find a board to post to where people post on current events. Somewhere where people might have spent the past decade discussing President Bush's lies... this is not the place for it.

I should find a board to post to where people post on current events.

and a thousand euphemisms

Yes, you need to stop. I pointed out many things that All candidates lied about last election, didn't matter. We have liars as Presidents because liars elect Presidents.

It's like a good call in baseball that's a bad call because it's against your team.
Speaking of baseball. Yay red sox.