Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
He was clearly an imminent threat

I beg to differ, there were no people in the area except police.
I believe that the police suspected that if they provoked him that he would respond and that response would allow them to use lethal force. All perfectly legal, to the letter of the law. The question is, could they have used an alternate method, to apprehend him. Clear the road, let him run out of gas. Pre-install spike strips at the next choke point (bridge). Block off the road, with semis... Clearly there are other actions they could have taken rather than provoke the confrontation.

In the case with the girl with the knife. We know police were on scene and do not seem to be intervening in the ruckus. The two women and kicking guy totally ignore the police presence. Guy kicks the woman on the ground and there is no obvious police response. Woman pulls knife and is an imminent threat to other woman, police shoot her. Again all perfectly legal police action. This time you could argue that police inaction may have possibly contributed to the result. I won't go there as there are many reasons as to why they acted as they did. I will wait until circumstances are understood before casting any judgement on the situation.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.