No. of Recommendations: 1
He's only operating on one lung.

I know a taxi driver in Halifax who only has one working lung. He quit driving last week and his boss called him up today insisting he get back to work. Imagine driving cabs right now, who do you call when they get off an airplane and need to get home ... in spite of coming from a hot spot?

Insanity
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
My forecast for Easter Sunday is that millions of faithful will go to church and may even fast for penance. (An incredibly stupid idea spreading on social media which will make people more vulnerable to virus infection.)

My forecast for a week after Easter Sunday is an explosion of Covid-19 cases, more than the exponential prediction.

Wendy
No. of Recommendations: 0
WendyBG writes,

My forecast for a week after Easter Sunday is an explosion of Covid-19 cases, more than the exponential prediction.

</snip>

It will probably take 2 weeks, but if a lot of folks are crowding the churches on Easter Sunday, they be getting that "Rapture" they've long predicted.

intercst
No. of Recommendations: 2
My calculations were more optimistic.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Mar 27 ----- 1546
Mar 30 ----- 3000
Apr 2 -------- 6000
Apr 5 ----- 12,000
Apr 8 ----- 24,000
Apr 11 --- 48,000

By April 12, Easter Sunday morning, approximately 50,000 Americans will have died. Some 24,000 in the previous three days.

Some 7000 Americans died at Gettysburg in three days of fighting. It required 20 years for 58,200 American soldiers to die in Vietnam. The coronavirus will kill Americans faster than any previous event in history.

Peter
My forecast for Easter Sunday is that millions of faithful will go to church and may even fast for penance.

Wendy,

I sincerely hope your forecast is wrong! Such crowd-gathering would be a disaster - as cases in South Korea (a worship service super-spreader) and in South Georgia (a funeral service super-spreader) have both demonstrated.

My church (Presbyterian) is making elaborate plans for how to make our recently instituted ONLINE Internet-only Easter worship service special for everyone. If our church is representative of the mainline protestant congregations, then the thinking faithful will be sheltering in place, as their God-given brain tells them.

The non-thinking faithful can gather if they are willing to defy the health experts and public authorities who have issued reasonable restrictions on crowds. However, it would be very selfish of them, and thus a venial sin, I think.

Presiding Bishop Michael Curry of The Episcopal Church said in a statement that suspending in-person public worship "is generally the most prudent course of action at this time, even during Holy Week and on Easter Day," which is April 12. "It is important to emphasize that suspension of in-person gatherings is not a suspension of worship," he added. "I very much encourage and support online worship."

...the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has recommended avoiding large gatherings of 50 or more for eight weeks – have prompted some churches to reorient themselves. The guidance is also expected to affect those observing Passover, April 8-16; Orthodox Easter, April 19; and Ramadan, which is expected to start April 23.

"An easy answer to that is that not having thousands of people in close quarters is one way we can [protect] our city," the 40-year-old pastor told USA TODAY. "And it’s how we can show love for the most vulnerable"...
[Emphasis added.]

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/03/20/corona...

Many Southern Baptist churches - even some never before offering online or televised worship - have taken advantage of newer forms of technology to protect their congregations and their elderly members against infection by eschewing in-person worship and substituting online streaming services.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/2020/03/13/coron...

There may be certain parts of the country and/or sparsely populated villages and counties where it would be perfectly safe for congregations to meet without exposing their most vulnerable parishioners to great risk of harm. Such areas are certainly few and far between.

However, I can hardly imagine there is any city or county of North America served by airports and interstate highways that can confidently tell its residents that they are not exposing themselves to risk by meeting in sizeable groups. To the contrary, I think one may reasonably expect that an individual in every crowd either has COVID-19, has been exposed to the virus, or has recovered and could still be a carrier.

Let's hope that the educated and intelligent faithful are able to convince their less thoughtful religious brothers and sisters to care for the elderly widows, the sick, and the infirm, by refraining from meeting as a large group this Easter and for so long as is necessary to protect the most vulnerable from harm.

;-)
No. of Recommendations: 4
Pope Francis celebrated a rare Urbi et Orbi mass, praying for an end of the epidemic and blessing all those struggling against it, at an entirely empty St Peter Cathedral and plaza. Truly quite powerful to behold. He spoke of the necessity of understanding that only a simple presence through attention and desire is required to participate fully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_Vor08elsY

David fb
We need to pray for Pope Francis. He's only operating on one lung.

https://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2013/03/13/new-pope-had-...

intercst
He's only operating on one lung.

I know a taxi driver in Halifax who only has one working lung. He quit driving last week and his boss called him up today insisting he get back to work. Imagine driving cabs right now, who do you call when they get off an airplane and need to get home ... in spite of coming from a hot spot?

Insanity
Wendy writes: An incredibly stupid idea spreading on social media.

A couple weeks ago, Jeff mentioned Russian trolls using social media to manipulate actions and reactions to COVID-19.

https://boards.fool.com/russia-trying-to-take-advantage-of-v...

Perhaps these social media efforts are troll driven?

🤔
ralph