Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
A co-worker of mine left her husband with her son in late 2011. She lived for about six months with an uncle and then she rented a room in a friend's house for $200/month (below market, probably). She did not pay any rent to her uncle. She is still living in her friend's house.

Given that she did not pay rent for half the year, can she still file as head of household for FY 2012? The difference between that and married filing single for her will be several hundred dollars (just running the numbers on a spreadsheet).

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.