No. of Recommendations: 1
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
The health care crisis is not on the way, it's here. Health insurance is one thing that can through a wrench both in my plans for FIRE and my career. I'm happy where I'm at and I like my job, but if my insurance keeps going up I'm going to have to think seriously about going back in the Navy. I'm getting older though, so I can't wait too long. Military health care may suck in all, but it's free. I wonder for how long though?
No. of Recommendations: 6
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/11/health/11HEAL.html?pagewanted=1

When an otherwise healthy person has an injury/accident that's one thing. But when an 80 year old has heart failure or a baby is born 3 months premature large amounts of resources are used for an uncertain end. A large percent of medical resources are utilized in the last 2 months of life.

I have already decided to refuse most future treatments. At a certain point our bodies are dying and maybe we should simply accept that. I want (when needed) powerful painkillers and possibly doctor-assisted suicide. All I ask is the ability to make these choices for myself.

Don't bother to tell me about the plans of your deity, I don't ask anything more for myself than I would for the cat.
No. of Recommendations: 0
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/11/health/11HEAL.html?pagewanted=1

intercst

"If living were a thing that money could buy, you know the rich would live and the poor would die." - Peter, Paul, and Mary

Does that age me or what? - Art
The health care crisis is not on the way, it's here. Health insurance is one thing that can through a wrench both in my plans for FIRE and my career. I'm happy where I'm at and I like my job, but if my insurance keeps going up I'm going to have to think seriously about going back in the Navy. I'm getting older though, so I can't wait too long. Military health care may suck in all, but it's free.

As a veteran, I believe you will always have the VA system as an option. While quality may be questionable at some locations, and service may not be the greatest, there are many VA sites that offer the very best quality of care.

--David
I agree with OgreCat that near the end of life,that great resources shouldn't be spent on long odds. While it pains me to say this as a semi-Libertarian, this is one thing that the socialized medicine systems of Western Europe have right: At some point, health care has to be rationed, and (for example), the 21-year old patient should have priority for the dialysis machine over the 70-year-old one. The USA has excellent medical care, but ranked way down the list in terms of equitable care for all citizens. Something to not be proud of.

BTW, my "Living Will" says (essentially) no herioc measures, no food or fluids, just plenty of DRUGS!!!
<<<At some point, health care has to be rationed, and (for example), the 21-year old patient should have priority for the dialysis machine over the 70-year-old one.>>>

And the 21 year old is some three strikes convict and the 70 year old has won the Noble Prize for Science because of their breakthrough cancer research.

I agree that health care needs to be rationed in some fashion, but there will never be a totally equitable system. Let everyone open an MSA (medical saving account)? Only the "rich" will be able to afford health care. Spend X dollars a month/day. Sorry, you should've gotten in the massive auto accident earlier in the month/day. We could've saved your life then. Productive members of society to the front of the line! What if Grandma Moses had been diagnosed with breast cancer at 60? Don't think she started painting until her 70s, IIRC.

I think the answer comes in education. In end of life decisions and in current lifestyle choices. But that will not be the perfect answer either, can lead a horse to water....... However, I think it's the best choice for now.

JLC