Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I know a lot of discussion has been made about the rising cost of health coverage. Can anyone tell me how much they pay for coverage of them, their spouse and a child? Just want to see what to expect in the way of price and coverage. Thanks
Print the post Back To Top
Health insurance is horribly expensive. We have found that an HMO is much less expensive than others. My dh works where all but $90 a month is covered for our health insurance (we have to pay co-pays, etc. of course). From what I understand, health insurance runs around $250-$400 a month assuming there are no pre-existing health issues.

L

<<I know a lot of discussion has been made about the rising cost of health coverage. Can anyone tell me how much they pay for coverage of them, their spouse and a child?>>

Our insurance is an employer provided plan via husband's faculty position. We have a choice of a good many plans offered by the federal government and SUNY.

We pay just under $350 a month for family coverage which includes a rider to cover the daughter at college out of state plus the mandatory small fee the college requires of all students. This is for a trad. indemnity plan with highish deductibles, no optical and a laughable "throw 'em a bone" dental plan. There is a point of service option available that we could use if we were desperate enough to need it. Wouldn't know what the actual monthly premiums are, of course, unless we had occasion to use COBRA.

With a choice of HMOs and more limited coverage plans to choose from, we still opt to pay for this unfashionably "expensive" plan....even though we're all in tip top health. If we're truly sick and at our most vulnerable, we don't want any plan exclusions, limitations of coverage or manged care bean counters dicking around with our health and well being.

Vivienne
I know a lot of discussion has been made about the rising cost of health coverage. Can anyone tell me how much they pay for coverage of them, their spouse and a child? Just want to see what to expect in the way of price and coverage

I am a single self employed parent of 6. Fortunately I only have to buy my own insurance as the kids are supposed to be covered by the X. It is horrendously expensive. I had a policy with a $45 co-pay for Dr visits & a $2500 deductible for $184 a month & just recently got an MSA plan for I think $150 a month, but it allows me to put money tax free into a savings acct to use for medical expenses. It has a $2250 deductible & I get discounted fees (what insurance would pay), but I pay the total cost of any medical expenses up to that $2250- after that it's covered 100%. The cost of insurance is dependedent on your age, weight, & medical problems too (they increased mine by $26 a month for acne of all stupid things!). I'm rarely ever sick & that's why I chose an MSA- at least the savings acct rolls over from year to year.
$415/month for just myself, covered by an HMO plan that has good service but definite holes in what the plan covers. I've been quite happy with the HMO part, but might wind up laying out cash sometime, perhaps a lot, due to limitations on coverage.

Seattle Pioneer
My husband and I are self-employed. We bought a policy to cover both of us for $250 a month. It's only medical, not dental or optical. The deductible is $4500, so it qualifies for an MSA.

Our previous policy, through my husband's previous employer, was $810 a month COBRA (full cost) with zero deductible and $10 or $20 copays.