No. of Recommendations: 4
Last March I had a spine operation. The Medicare approved bills totaled $105,000, but the submitted bills totaled at least $50,000 more (I didn't keep count, but one bill was reduced by Medicare from $25,000 to $560!). As it has turned out, we have paid very little of the total (I believe under $20) because we have a backup health plan. Now if all we had was the backup health plan, our bill would have been something like $30,000. I wonder how many of the working poor could have built up a health savings plan of $30,000? On the other hand, how many of the working poor could even pay the bill for our backup health plan ($4,200 this last year)? We are not the working poor and, so far, can mange these things, though the $30,000 would have taken a big chunk out of our "nursing home fund" which, thankfully, we have not had to use, YET! I feel indeed fortunate to have lived in the age of Medicare as they have saved me from a wheelchair for sure.

As to retirement savings accounts, I am told that the 2% devoted to them would amount, on average, to $35/mo and much of the Federal Governments take out of this would be used up in administration. Just how this would develop into a retirement nest egg for the average, I have no idea. There must be more efficient solution, none particularly pleasant I'm sure, such as raising the SS payments and increasing the retirement age. I do not get Social Security, but my wife does and it amounts to less than 10% of our annual expenses. Thankfully we have other resources (so far).

brucedoe
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.