No. of Recommendations: 2
This is not OT and I hope that many of you understand and agree.

Fo those who may not know about healthier eating (and healthy lifestyle changes) and depression, these two web articles for your perusal.

"Depression and Diet"
http://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/diet-recovery

"How to Treat Depression by Eating Healthy Food"
http://www.livestrong.com/article/253790-how-to-treat-depres...

Long story short, I am fixed income and often a slow and frustrating cook in the kitchen. Cooking and shopping healthier barely takes much more time, but either because of the perceived (not necessarily actual) extra effort, I often cook and eat poorly.

One of the areas in my life that declines when I am struggling with depression is maintaining a healthy and nutritious diet. In general, one of the first things to go when I hit a slump is proper planning as I often just follow impulses (impulsive eating, immediate gratification, "why cook when I can eat a bag of chips, box of cookies!").

Ordinarily I enjoy eating a lot of healthy foods so it isn't the struggle as many people sometimes deal with. My main issue with eating poorly is that I will grab convenience food because there is little to no preparation and cleaning involved, or I will grab high fat (high salt, high sugar) foods because they are "comfort" foods, or I get cravings for junk foods.

And since I am on a fixed income, eating healthier also means grocery shopping and cooking at home. If I am mentally or physically worn out, lengthy sessions in the kitchen (or trips to the supermarket) is not something I want to do.

I also have physical medical issues that I am supposed to monitor and handle appropriately (overweight, borderline hypertension, blood cholesterol levels) so eating healthier is important for other necessary reasons. Also I have a dependent living with me who does not have the same (mental and physical) health concerns as I do, but fortunately would be cooperative with a sustained healthy diet. I understand that many people need to struggle with the taste preferences of family members and I admit to be extremely fortunate that I do not have to endure stress with unhappy eaters.

Tonight, I'm frying inexpensive rib-end pork chops (four thin-sliced chops for $3.01, or $0.75 each), making some rice, and trying to pick a very fast and easy (minimal preparation) side dish of any type. With proper planning and preparation, I might have made chicken, or gone vegetarian with something tasty, low fat, and healthy.

Folks here, how do you cook/eat? what do you do?

Lois Carmen D.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.