Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Heh...an interesting proposition:

http://www.pages.nyu.edu/~air1/scirelig.htm
"Mindless Materialists: A Controversial proposition

Why Materialists and Idealists Don’t Agree: Those of us who are bothered by the mind-body problem are frustrated by materialist arguments that just don’t seem to get it, and the same is true in the other direction. I believe there is a real possibility that hard-core materialists are mindless, literally: they lack what we call consciousness, or 'mind' and so do not really understand what the fuss is all about. In addition, they will likely think that if we are indeed different than them, that it is some problem of faulty wiring in our brain, which would again be simply missing the point. Of course we would then get into the tricky question as to whether they are truly human, and if they experience anything including pain and pleasure etc, but they wouldn’t understand what we are talking about.

I've always thought the experiences I labeled 'pain' and 'pleasure' were similar enough to others' descriptions to deserve the label... (shrug)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.