No. of Recommendations: 2
*heheh*

Well, uh...this is...kindof embarrassing, I guess.. *heh* *weak smile*

*AHEM*

So, last night (and didn't I predict this?), my laptop stopped connecting to the wireless router.

Actually, more correctly - it was CONNECTING, and it said "Connected" to my home WiFi, but it said "No access". The Network control panel showed that I could get to the wireless router, but nothing was loading.

I couldn't even open the wifi router's admin page.

Went upstairs to the wired computer, and looked at the wifi router's logs and admin pages.

There, on the list of DHCP clients, was my laptop. So...duh?! Why can't it use the internet!?

Oh - wait - it still has the OFFICE NETWORK'S IP ADDRESS!
Home subnet = 192.168.2.n
Work subnet = 172.25.2.n

So it went about its business, happily thinking it had a network IP, blah blah - but it found itself alone in the wilderness, with nary a wireless router.

SO!

The NEW solution is - if you take a laptop between two or more networks, and it is having trouble connecting, try opening a command prompt and typing:
ipconfig /release

and then turning your wireless switch off and on, or disable/re-enabling it in the control panel. That should cause it to wake up and find a new home on the available network.

Sheesh! Well, at least it feels like this time I've got it figured out. Again, hope this helps someone else.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.