Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hey everyone, I just found this board through a link on the low-carb board.

I'm 29. Both my parents are diabetic. Mom's a Type II, diagnosed maybe 7 years ago, and controlling hers nicely through diet and a pill. Dad's a Type I, diagnosed 17 years ago. He's been in the hospital 2 weeks now with a bad foot infection, which moved into his bones. This week he had 2 toes amputated (if anyone on this board ever wants motivation to take care of themselves, just ask to see the pictures I took of his foot while the nurse was changing his dressing. He likes to joke that those pictures are going to be sent out as Christmas cards this year). On Monday, he was fasting in preparation for the surgery, and the doctor put him in a hyperbaric chamber to help speed healing. I was in the room with him, and I was the one who alerted the technician when he went into a grand mal seizure. The doctors think his blood sugar went too low, and somehow the super-pressurized-oxygen environment set him off.

I've been low-carbing for 4 1/2 years now, partly to lose weight (55 pounds so far) and partly so what's happening to my parents never happens to me. When I started eating low-carb, I had already experienced years of blood sugar crashes and hypoglycemic episodes; the diet controls these. Originally, I started with The Zone diet, and I loved it so much that I gave a book to both parents. Dad and my stepmother read it and started following it. Within a weekend, Dad was able to reduce his insulin intake by half, but he got lazy and hasn't been practicing it for several years. I believe this hospital episode and losing parts of his body have scared him somewhat, and I've started preaching low-carb at him again. Over the years, I've converted to lower carb diets, so this time I'm sending him Protein Power.

So that's my short introduction. There's really no point to it, except for me to say what I've said. I appreciate this board being here, especially after the awful week I've had with my father, who, next to my husband, is my best friend and will probably begin listening now, if I yell loudly enough, that D*MMIT, HE HAS TO TAKE CARE OF HIMSELF. Fortunately, Mom doesn't have delusions of invincibility, so she's a lot more careful and a lot more healthy.

Thanks for reading. Take care of yourselves,
PrrpleGrrl
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.