Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Hi,
I have to say, this isn't the board I always dreamed of posting on, but so be it. I guess it's finally time to get past the denial and just say it: Hi, my name is Piney and I'm a diabetic. So, here's my story:

On 23 April 2007 I went to the doctor for a minor complaint, and discovered my blood sugar level was 502 mg/dl and my HA1C was 14.2. I guess that's when I joined the D2 club, although for the first six weeks I stubbornly continued to think of it as a temporary thing I would quickly take care of. At that point I was overweight, thirsty, sweaty, tired, and enervated, but I guess that's all part of the high blood sugar.

The next day I started taking metaformin twice daily, and went on the South Beach diet, thereby cutting out all grains, pasta, rice, potatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes, breads, sugar, etc. I also started walking 10,000 steps a day. On 10 May 2007 my fasting blood sugar was 155, my after lunch level was 88, and the doctor suspended the metaformin. All my other blood levels - lipids, kidney, liver, electrolytes, etc. - were fine. Last week I was back at the doctor and my fasting blood sugar was down to 146, and the A1C was down to 9.

It's now 13 June 2007. I've lost 30 pounds and have more energy, but still get shaky and sweaty and I think I'm on a blood sugar roller coaster. Yesterday I realized it was time to face facts, reluctantly accept the D word, and start dealing with it. I bought a blood sugar monitor, and started reading a book by Dr. Bernstein, an author jeff kaellner recommended. In fact, kaellner has been my main source of good advice for the past 6 weeks. The South Beach diet is a good start, but I learned that I'll have to make more drastic changes to my diet. SB has a low fat theme, and encourages eating all the nuts, V8 juice, onions, tomatoes, and fatfree cottage cheese you want, items I now know have a pretty high carb level.

I still have a lot of questions, and sometimes get discouraged. I figure it's time to stop expecting jk to be my 24/7 personal savior and introduce myself. So, hi y'all. I'm Piney and I'm . . . all right, Imadiabetic, there I said it.

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Hey there, I'm pretty new to this "club" as well. I was diagnosed on April 6. My doctor sent me to a dietitian that specializes in diabetes. It has really helped. Perhaps you could ask your doctor for a referrell or just call your local hospital. I learned that a lot, especially about foods. Did you know that peas are a starch? I had no clue. Anyway, sorry about the diagnoses, but congrats on the weight loss.

A book I have been reading that I like is called, The First Year—Type 2 Diabetes by Gretchen Becker. She really helps put a lot of stuff in layman's terms.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Welcome to the board. You are in good company. It can be scary being told you have a degenerative disease for which there is no cure (yet) but once you get over the initial shock, there is a lot to look forward to. Not the daily pricking for your blood glucose testing, but life does not end because you are diabetic. It just becomes a little different.

Everyone's diabetes is a little different, how you process different kinds of foods, how your body maintains fat, and how react to exercise. The trick is to figure out how much of what kind of foods in combination with your exercise regimen works best to keep your blood sugars consistently under control. It does not mean giving up anything but does require that you do everything in moderation.

Right now your body is probably in shock (not a medical opinion), having experienced such a sudden change in diet, exercise and weight. Now the game begins to find out your bio-balance. Continue working with your doctor, a nutritionist, and even a fitness trainer who has experience working with diabetics. The best side effect of being diabetic is that it forces you to take better care of yourself, which puts you ahead of all those normal sloths.

Fuskie
Who had to explain to his fitness trainer that eliminating carbs all together from his diet was both unnecessary as a diabetic and would upset the delicate balance he has worked so hard to achieve...
No. of Recommendations: 1
Who had to explain to his fitness trainer that eliminating carbs all together from his diet was both unnecessary as a diabetic and would upset the delicate balance he has worked so hard to achieve...

Too bad the fitness trainer was right.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Piney;

This is a link to a previous post of mine:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=25518709

Do not be discouraged by my tale of woe. Follow your doctor's advice. We are all "wired" (genetically) differently. There is something in my unique "wiring" that didn't respond to treatment. But that DOES NOT mean your regimen of treatment won't. Just keep on fightin' the devil bug within you!

Best regards,
Duane
No. of Recommendations: 7
Too bad the fitness trainer was right.

Yeah, I am going to take the advice of a trainer over my doctor.

Fuskie
Who had the message of a controlled carb diet, not a carb free diet, drummed into him when he was first diagnosed by his doctor and his nutritionist...