Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Been reading some of the back posts and here are my answers being a born and raised Butte, Montanan :)

Born in Butte in 1962 and still call myself a Butte "Rat". That term came from all the tunnels in the hill there. It was in the 70's that that affectionate term came about. We had T-shirts and everything.

Went to Hawthrone Grade school which is now closed, the East Jr. High, then West Jr. High. East Jr. High is now East Middle School I believe and West Jr. High is now an elementary school? I graduated from Butte High School in 1980. We had an undefeated Football team my sophmore year, the opposing teams scored something like 20 points all season. So I'm also an alumni Bulldog. So I hope that would show my qualifications for saying people of my generation used to call ourselves "Rats" :)

As for the cold in the wintertime, I remember shortly after I graduated, can't remember the exact year, for about a week before Christmas it was consistantly 60 to 80 degrees below (yes you read that right, cold spot in the nation for a week) zero. I spent the night at my sister's house on Christmas Eve and in the morning went to get the newspaper. I thought, no need for a coat, just pop out, grab it, pop back in. I went out the door and it felt SOOOOOOOOOOOo warm! Like spring time! I was dancing around, yelling at my sister to come outside, it's so nice! She looked out the window, checked the thermometer and yelled at me, "You idiot! Get back in here, it's still 20 below zero!" Sure didn't feel like it.

I have also driven in storms where you literally can't see 1/2 foot in front of your vehicle. Real fun! So, yes, the winters can be very cold.

I have also lived in Anaconda, Great Falls, Forsyth and Laurel before moving to upstate New York. The reason for the move? Just couldn't get ahead in Montana. It's a wonderfully beautiful state but it's hard for the average person to get ahead there. I still miss it a great deal at times, but I'm adjusting and when someone here complains they have to drive 100 miles to get somewhere I just laugh at them. I would tell them, "Hell, where I'm from, that's what you sometimes drove just to get groceries!"

Deannda
Remember the saying, "If I owned a slice of Heaven and a slice of Montana, I would rent out Heaven and live in Montana."
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.