Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Hello All,

It's my first post here.

I've just come back from the 90,000 miles service of my '96 Honda Accord in an Honda Service (yea, I put a lot on this car). It costed me $550 including tax for the service and front brake change and a few more things.

Now I figure that it's going to dry me up if I continue with the regular service suggested by the Honda Service.

How can I maintain my car (I want to keep it for a few more years) and save a lot? Should I study the owner manual for the service schedule and go to the Goodyear next door to perform the jobs? Should I just change old regularly only?

Thanks.

MFmahler

------------------------------------------------------
Congratulation on your first post. I have found this board and many others to be a good source of information. Others here are probably more knowledgable than me, but I will offer my views on your problem.

It has been my experience that skimping on normal maintenance is not a good idea. However, maintenance particularly after the warranty has expired, does not have to be performed by the dealership as you pointed out.

I tend to use dealerships for maintenace during warranty, because then there is no question about whether service was done to meet warranty requirements. But after the car is out of warranty, I use independent mechanics for all maintenance and repair work. As an example of price differences, I just checked a newspaper ad from the shop I use, and their advertised price is $160 for 90,000 mile major service. Their price for brakes is $50 (front or rear). I have as much confidence in their work as I do in the dealer. At the local Infiniti dealer, Oil Changes cost $50! At the independent it is $20, but they usually have a special for $15.

The caveat in all this is finding an independent shop that is competent and trustworthy. Check with friends to see if they have someone they trust. In my area of Southern California I have seen a number independent shops that specialize in Hondas.

Hope this helps,

Bob Mc

Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.