Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Hello all,

MYCROFT, I enjoy your posts and knowledge greatly, thank you for taking the time to add value to the message boards. You posted a reply to this original message which I will quote at the end. I think your protocol has great merit, but I have a contrarian view.

My father is now 92-years old. He went against the tide and select individual stocks. I'm sure he paid a handsome commission cost back then; I know he didn't listen to their wisdom but relied instead on his own DD. His method was long term buy and hold, believe in your own DD, pay attention and hang in there (something I still need to learn).

He bought Dow Chemical through the Employee Stock Purchase Plan as well as other blue chips. OK, I wouldn't choose the stocks that he did (except for LU which he owns via AT&T) but he has done very well by doing his homework and sticking with the companies for his orginal reasons.

I am not slamming your perspective, MYCROFT, rather I too am trying to use my father's (your Uncle's) years of knowledge (as well as success) in my own investments - it's just a different style. Also, I think we may be at different points in our life, right now I don't need income- I need growth in equity.

Hey Pop, you'll never see this but I am very proud of you and thank you for all your help in my life. Your investment advice pales incomparision to the lessons you shared with me on values.

-helen

Dear Mark,

I have a solution to your problem that my great uncle taught me about holding great companies. He told me that when a stock splits to sell the split shares and to never sell the originals. He used that system for some 50 years with great success. I have the same problem that you have with Nokia and Lucent. I will never sell my original stake but will sell the split shares that I receive from now on as I have done with my other holdings, I treat them as a massive dividend. I find this system to be the best of all worlds as it allows me to pay my bills and still beat the S&P 500 every year. Your summary of QCOM was wonderful and your cautioning of new investors to wait is admirable, you are a gentleman sir!!!! But how can you not be with such a great Roman Name (I am a Roman Scholar and am very jealous).

Best of Luck to you and Congratulations on QCOM,

MYCROFT

-helen

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.