No. of Recommendations: 1
Hello alstroemeria,

Thank you for your reply. I deeply appreciate an exchange.

I think you would rate only a #1 on the hoarding scale of 1-5. See link for details.
http://www.childrenofhoarders.com/pdf/nsgcd_clutterhoardings...

In case others stumble across this thread as an isolated topic, let me be clear that I have a history of mental illness and currently on long-term/permanent psychiatric disability.

Buying items is only one way to acquire excessively. Speaking for myself, in this wealthy country that we are, there are numerous ways to hoard.

Me, I just keep bringing things home, then keeping them. Examples include the junk mail I receive and keep, useful things I see in other peoples' trash, donations, etc. Right now, I have several cats and a dog. (A fear I have is becoming an animal hoarder.) Most of my home hoarding is based on paperwork: boxes of paperwork, including newspapers, periodicals, as well as decades of employment as an office worker. And I may have touches of OCD, which according to the new DSM-5, does not have hoarding as a subcategory (I haven't read the DSM-5 and don't understand the differences so don't bet on this from me).

I think the hard part for hoarders, or at least for me, is letting go of things (or people etc.). Sometimes it is difficult to say goodbye literally or figuratively.

Thanks,
Lois Carmen D.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.