No. of Recommendations: 6
Hello Bill:

You bring some important and interesting points to the table in this discussion.

1) You state that the Fool and Yahoo are private entities and therefore the First Amendment does not apply. Does the language in the First Amendment specifically state that it only applies to public entities?

2. You challenge us to go to work and yell out the most disgusting racist, sexist thing we can think of. Many companies have established policies regarding profane language, racial slurs, etc. And they call people on the carpet for violating that. However, they cannot put them in jail. My husband's company had this policy. Reprimands would happen, but people weren't fired. So, at that level, there was nothing illegal in what they did.

Rocker still walks the streets as a free man.

Cramer and Fleckenstein are among the people some investors love to hate. However, are they going to be next to go after individual investors for posting remarks that are different from their opinions?

I personally applaud the Fool for setting the standard in message board management by having people who deal with the language issues, personal attacks, etc. However, Yahoo chooses not to. Silicon Investor and Raging Bull do so to a point by having a venue where offensive posts can be reported. There are many Yahoo boards where you see offensive language. But no one goes is prosecuted for it.

Two words occur in the definition of slander: defamation, and false. Have these investors crossed that line?

Actually, one sees negative remarks made by the Fool in chats and on message boards also. Are you guys going to go after these people?

I have yet to see President Clinton suing the media for broadcasting remarks made by individuals that are less than complimentary. Nor do I see him or our government suing the individuals who made those remarks through the media.

There has to be a stopping place and a starting place for all of these issues. And I guess that is what our judicial system is all about.

I reserve the right to be wrong.

Annie

Annie
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.