Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello Dartel. As usual, what you decide to do...depends. I mean, looking at the investments you already have, how will your 401k's funds fit in with what you already have? What are you trying to acomplish with these funds? Are you trying to fill in the holes with a particular asset style you don't invest in yet? You mentioned the IShares you're already invested in, they are IVE- the value portion of the S&P 500, IJJ- the value portion of the S&P Midcap 400/BARRA index and IJS- the value portion of the S&P Small-cap 600/BARRA index. I see a trend leaning towards value in small, mid and large cap equities. So, if you invest in the S&P 500 index fund, you'll then further increase your allocation to the value stocks of the S&P 500, while adding the rest of the stocks in the S&P 500 that are classified as growth stocks. Make sure you understand how each investment plays with the others, so to speak.

My move would be to research several of these funds to see if I could find some that wouldn't overlap the asset styles I already have, like a growth fund (but you may wish to avoid small-cap growth index funds, if that's what your option is, as this has historically been the worst equity class, as discussed here: http://www.efficientfrontier.com/ef/701/sg.htm and here: http://www.efficientfrontier.com/ef/499/scg.htm ), a foreign fund or a bond fund. These are just my opinions though.

HTH

Bookm
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.