Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 8
Hello FuskieFool and all board members. I saw this on "notable boards" and didn't realize it was here. I've read the last 30 or so posts and noticed some minor misconceptions that I might be able to help with.

I am an Internal Medicine physician in an area of the country where diabetes (Type II) is so rampant it makes up about 50% of my practice. I treat a LOT of Type II diabetics and diagnose or am referred 2-3 new diabetics every week. I'd be glad to give input if wanted and as time allows.

A couple of things to think about first. "Type I" and "Type II" diabetes are just names the definitions of which have changed over time. Type I is typically a child or young adult but can be of any age (I've diagnosed 80-year olds with Type I). The pancreas' beta-islet cells no longer produce enough insulin to control blood glucose levels - these people always require insulin. Type II is more complex physiologically with carbohydrate intolerance and/or insulin resistance and the disease more responsive to a variety of treatments including diet/exercise, oral meds and/or exogenous insulin. Type II's are not all middle-aged, obese people and many are young and of normal weight. Why it develops is not known.

The Hemoglobin A1C ("A1C") blood test, expressed as a percentage, gives your doctor an idea what your average blood sugar level has been over a 3 month period of time. Goal A1C's are 7% or below (7% being roughly about equal to a blood sugar of 140 and going up or down about 20 points for each percentage point higher or lower). Personally, I shoot for as close to 6% as possible in my patients to help minimize long-term "target-organ" damage. Always record your blood sugar readings in a log or on a piece of paper with the time of day of that reading and bring it to your doctor visits so he/she can suggest modifications of therapy as may be needed.

Hope I can be of some help.

ab

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.