No. of Recommendations: 5
Hello-
I have been reading posts on the LBYM board today with interest (in the past I have mostly been looking on the Credit Card and Paying For College boards). I am a college student with one more year to go before graduation, and for the past three years I have had a tough time and a lot of anxiety attacks having to do with money. My parents paid a portion of my expensive high school tuition (I was very depressed at my local high school and this school changed my life, but at a cost), and told me that they would have very little money to help with my college. They did help the first year, and then the second year I was alone, having to take out a private loan that is rapidly accruing interest. I developed an obsession with the money, clothes, etc. I wanted but didn't have. I am going to a private college which is also changing my life, and I want to stick it out next year. But I realize reading this post that I have attached money to happiness the past few years. I have been jealous of wealthier friends. I have felt angry at my parents for not giving me the money they don't have...And now I realize that it's time to stop. I don't have money now, but I will, and start investing Foolishly when I'm out of college. I will have enough for a comfortable life, retirement, and enough to help my family and friends when they are in need. I will spend money on things I enjoy thoroughly, NOT a big house for prestige or other superficial things. I will help out my parents who have struggled to help me, my sister and brother...take my dad on a trip to Asia, cause he's never been overseas (he's 58 now).

It's so funny. I came to this website to learn how to make MORE money and pinch more pennies, but much more than that has changed reading people's stories and encouragement. I think my attitude toward money is changing...

I have to make $7000 for next year, and pay $2000 more for this year, but now I feel that I can do it. I will probably be back asking about jobs, loans, credit cards, LBMM in Seattle this summer...but I feel much happier and less desperate now.

Thanks for reading my long, cheesy post. I'll be back!

dengdeng in Wisconsin (but from Seattle)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.