Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello Jon,

Your questions are thoughtful. I too have wrestled with cash flow, and it appears that, since there is no industry-appropriate "cash flow ratio" to judge cash flow adequacy, about the best one can do is to look at cash flow from operations to see what it is being used for, e.g., what kinds of capital expenditures (aka capex) are being made, and whether those expenditures are appropriate for that company. One must know the company well to make this kind of evaluation.

Also, I have heard that cash flow should be growing over time in absolute terms as well as in terms of cash show per share.

When looking at cash flow do not forget to look at all-important ratios such as debt to equity, and times interest earned. Gotta be able to pay those bills.

I will defer speaking to your second question.

Regards,

sulpolitix
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.