Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 9
Hello KidChicago2,

Thanks for your note.

With respect to the returns, the 1,000% I quoted was the result of going long Tom's selections and short my selections back to 2003.

So, for example, in 2003 I lost about 10% shorting stock. At the time, this was the worst year ever for short sellers. A 10% loss was quite competitive though. Tom on the other hand made about 130% (off the top of my head). So, by being long and short on an equal weighted basis, the returns were about +120% (this is no different than what long / short market neutral funds do).

In 2008 yes I was up just under 100% and Tom was down 50-60% or so. So, we were still up 40-50%.

You get to 1,000% by COMPOUNDING. Tom and I achieved a bit more than 40% annually from 2003. That works out to slightly over 1,000%.

I have never lost 300% on a position. I suppose it could happen, but that is not how I manage my portfolio from day to day.

All I do is short stocks. I am not a civil engineer by day and forensic accountant by night. So, I just follow the same process over and over again. I will have losers. In fact, I takes LOTS of small losses. Successful investing is not about how many winners or losers you have but the money in your account at the end of the day.

I don't short illiquid stocks. I don't short "fad" companies that may run up.

Actually, you know what my biggest short was at the low in the market in 2009? It was General Mills, a company that will be around long after you and I are no longer walking the Earth.

Most people would not think General Mills would be a great short. Well, part of the point of the service will be to show you why.

Whether or not this service is a good fit for you or if you're unsure(which I understand) I really can't provide much guidance there. But, there are very few people that focus on this area of the market exclusively. I can assure you that you have no chance of getting this type of research in a retail format (retail means people like you, non-professional and not paying $60,000 a year for it).

Best,

John Del Vecchio
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.