Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello, Lhdill---

I've been in a similar spot. With the usual "I'm no expert on taxes" disclaimer, here's what I think I know :

You need to remove the excess contribution plus earnings before you pay your 1999 taxes. Report the earnings as dividend/interest/whatever it was. You owe a 10% penalty on the earnings ONLY. You have no other obligation, since you're not claiming any tax deduction for the contribution.

Your end-of-year 1099 for this account should show an untaxed distribution of $221 + earnings (for which, if anyone asks, you need only demonstrate that it was excess removed before the tax date) and should identify the earnings amount as subject to tax.

I believe your tax obligation is incurred for the year the funds were credited to the account--in your case, for 1999, the year they were recharacterized.

Another possibility: If you haven't yet made a 1999 IRA contribution and you qualify for one, you can recharacterize the excess as a regular IRA contribution and keep the earnings. Nothing to report but the recharacterization. No tax, no penalty, nada.

Run this past TMFTaxes on the Tax Strategies board, for your own peace of mind. It's a small sum to get gray hairs about, matters more to you than to the IRS.

Cheers,

kse4
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.