Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 8
Your state has always appealed to me. One day I will visit. Besides New Orleans, where should I go? What should I not miss??

Penny
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
You asked: "Besides New Orleans, where should I go? What should I not miss??"

Nawlins is one of the greatest party towns in the world. While there don't miss the streetcar, Preservation Hall, lots of restaurants, Bourbon street after dark, Royal street during the day (antique and jewelery stores), and, of course, Cafe Du Monde for breakfast.

As for the rest of the state ... Louisiana is divided into two seperate cultures by a line running east-west through Leesville and Alexandria. To the north is redneck Babdist country. To the south is Cajun country with the French Acadian background and primarily Catholic for religion.

What to see and not to see is dependent on your likes and dislikes ... South and West of New Orleans is the Bayou Country. Up the Mississippi River to and past Baton Rouge is plantation country ... beautiful mansions and old homes ... and also the Chemical Row. If you come for Mardi Gras I would suggest that you go to Lafayette, Lake Charles or Eunice. The crowds will be smaller and you will probably have a better time. Mardi Gras in Nawlins is held primarily to help seperate Yankees from dollars ... in the other places it is to party and to pass a good time.

Cajun Louisiana is the real home of Cajun cooking and good food and it goes all the way from Texas to Nawlins and on both sides of I-10. Bordering on Texas and the Gulf is Cameron Parish (County) and is the only Parish in the state without a railroad. You can see a lot of alligators in that area though. They also serve alligator meat in some of the better restaurants.

Tell me what you like and perhaps I can make more accurate suggestions.

God Bless.....
No. of Recommendations: 1
There's so much to see in New Orleans alone, that you aren't going to be able to do it all. I'd recommend contacting the board of tourism and getting some information so you can decide what you want to see before you make the trip.

If you're interested in history/architecture, you can get tours of the city, but I'd recommend doing some reading before you visit the city. The streets of New Orleans are full of horse drawn carriages that will give you a tour of the quarter and tell you the history of the area. The history they tell you is about 95% false (they'll point to a warehouse and tell you it's the Parthenon if they think you'll buy it). Part of what makes New Orleans interesting is trying to separate the fact from the fiction. It's easy to find the tourist stuff, but the real challenge is in finding the hole in the wall places where the locals hang out/eat/etc. The quarter is pretty touristy, but it's fun to walk around, and it's pretty safe as long as you're around other people. As far as food goes, it's hard to find a bad restraunt in New Orleans (particularly if you're looking for seafood). I usually prefer to eat at the places that are off the beaten path, but some of the well known places are good, too.

I could probably write a book about all there is to do in the city (and still have material left over). What you should see really depends on what you're looking for.

Cremice
No. of Recommendations: 8
but the real challenge is in finding the hole in the wall places where the locals hang out/eat/etc.

==================

This is what I am looking for. Everything else someone else can have/do.

I'm not sure when I will be visiting the great city, but it is on my list...

Penny