No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello Nessie,

Having considered your post 128999 for four additional hours, I can add a few additional comments to what I posted earlier.

<<Still, by considering the views of others to my posts, I refine my own views, and adapt and improve them over time, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Hmmmm . . . You don't care what others think and you don't want to influence others but this exercise in repetitive rants somehow refines your own views? Can you describe an actual case where this has happened to your satisfaction?>>

Why yes. Indeed, my thoughts on travel have developed over the past eight to ten years or so, and continue to develop as the months, years and posts roll on.

For example, I suggested that the motivation for travel was often to show off ones wealth and leisure, and compared that to Thorsten Veblen's "Theory of the Leisure Class," what he described as "conspicuous consumption."

My applying that 19th century theory to 21st century travel is an original application of that theory, as far as I know.

While I left it out in my earlier posts on this thread, I have also compared travel to visiting Disneyland, where people consume manufactured entertainment. A visit to St Marks Square in the summer time is no different, I suggest. That is also a comparison I have developed and use over time.

In response to REQUESTS for information on why I post, I gave as one explanation that repetition of controversial political subject matter helps squeeze emotions out of my posts, so that I can be more analytical.

And how did you reply to that? First you acknowledged that my posts were usually "reasonable," but then accused me of having a diabolical long term aim to disrupt the peace and community of this board! By being reasonable!

Frankly, the best people posting on the Fool are those who refuse to be badgered into making hateful remarks. People like intercst, and Goofyhoofy (most of the time) and some others. I don't claim to be in that elite class, not for another 50,000 posts or so, if then.

But most of all, I find it sad that someone who proclaims the liberal impact of travel should have as his agenda trying to exclude points of view with which he does not agree. I see this happening with such consistency that I have no confidence that travel has significant impact on a persons ability to understand and appreciate points of view that person doesn't like and doesn't agree with.

By contrast, I argue against travel as a virtue, but I seek out and enjoy the clash of opinion with those whose ideas and values are significantly different than my own. Apparently travel is no guarantee of that broad mindedness, and being a stay at home no bar to having that interest in the views and values of others with whom you disagree.

Seattle Pioneer
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.