Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi,

This board is soooooo quiet, thought I'd post a howdy!

JCI was one of the first DRIPs that I enrolled in. They make it so easy for a beginner to get started.

richbird
Print the post Back To Top
Yes JCI was one of my first. Direct enrollment was a snap and I havn't been disappointed since.I am not into the tech stocks, my loss?
I find JCI to be a very good DRIP. However, I strongly value my INTC stock. During this recent downtrend, Intel kept my DRIP portfolio alive. I strongly urge you to consider tossing a few DRIPs their way.

Tar Heel.
Hi there,

I also am a first time investor and have chosen the JCI drip. Today I received a statement that they have my check and will buy my shares at the next purchase date. (anyone know when that is?) I'm looking forward to holding JCI stock and will be watching this board along the way.

LizB
Hi
ON the front of my folder it says in by 25th, buys on the 31st.Per my records they buy on the 30th or 31st except for 2 times when it was on the 27th & 28 th.
Have been driping JCI since july of 97 & have been happy with it and had a good return.
Stocky
Howdy,
from another happy JCI dripper. They are one of the more user friendly drips that I've enrolled in (about 18 months ago). So far so good.

Terry
JCI purchases stock at the end of the month walter
I have had a JCI DRIP for over five years. It was one of my original DRIPs. It has been a well performing stock, although not lately which probably makes it a good time to buy in. It also is one of the very few that still does not charge commissions, which is very rare these days.
I have been watching this board for a little while now. My husband started working for JCI in April and is quite impressed. We are getting ready to set up our 401K with them and I was trying to decide if we should buy some company stock through the employee purchase plan. Obviously you would all agree this would be a great idea. Looking forward to all the information I can learn on this board.
RPenders
<<Obviously you would all agree this would be a great idea. Looking forward to all the information I can learn on this board.
RPenders >>

YES/MAYBE?

Definitely SOME, however, I recall hearing an interesting commentary on how when you work somewhere you are investing your time/effort there for a return (pay).

By buying heavily into the co. also you skew your diversification to the narrow side.

Just a thought,
I agree with rogershera. Too much of one thing in a 401k is not the best. This would be great for part of it, but check what else is available and balance it with mutual funds if possible.

Just another thought,

Marty
RPenders writes I have been watching this board for a little while now. My husband started working for JCI in April and is quite impressed. We are getting ready to set up our 401K with them and I was trying to decide if we should buy some company stock through the employee purchase plan. Obviously you would all agree
this would be a great idea. Looking forward to all the information I can learn on this board.

Before jumping in with another opinion, I had a question. Your note mentions setting up a 401K AND trying to decide on buying stock through the employee plan. Is this one and the same ??

Many companies have employee stock purchase plans where the employee purchses stock at a discounted price (e.g. 85%) which is separate from any 401K plan. There are also many companies which offer the company stock as one of the options in their 401K plan. This is ususally at face value, but with some type of company match.

I'm not familiar with JCI, but I would be interested in hearing what the options are. I think the direction you take would be based on what the plan options are, how much, if any, is JCI going to contribute, how much you have to put into the plan, and what your risk factors are now (typically, younger = more risk).

Terry
I'm not familiar with JCI, but I would be interested in hearing what the options are. I think the
direction you take would be based on what the plan options are, how much, if any, is JCI going to
contribute, how much you have to put into the plan, and what your risk factors are now (typically,
younger = more risk).

Terry

I didn't mean to give too few facts just was jotting down some thoughts too quick.

JCI offers its employees different options. We are going to be investing in his 401K, but not much in JCI stock and definitely not all in the same "basket". Then they offer you the chance to additionally have deductions made from your pay where you buy stock directly. When I worked for Bausch and Lomb (years ago) I had $25 a week taken out of my pay and put towards stock purchase, when I had enough built up they bought a share of stock. The same for JCI. We will start off slow but I think if the stock is doing good and we know the company to be a good one, we should buy some of it. This will only be a small amount as I think we should focus on our 401K as heavily as we can. We are 35 and just starting our retirements plans, we want to do this as aggressively as possible since we feel "behind". Sorry for not giving enough details. I'm still interested in watching this board for all your opinions and I thank you all for the concern, I can use as much education in this endeavour as I can consume.
Rhonda
Rhonda,
Thanks for the input.

I have similar benefits with IBM, where we have an employee stock plan as well as the tax deferred account which includes IBM as an option. That is why I asked the question(s).

I think you are going in the right direction with the focus on the 401 plan. If you have any $$ left after that, I think JCI is a good stock.

Terry
Keep in mind that all the company matching for the 401K will be contributed as JCI stock. (I also work for JCI.)
I didn't realize that, thanks. I'm going to have to look into his plan a little more deeply.

Rhonda
Yes JCI was one of my first. Direct enrollment was a snap and I havn't been disappointed since.I am not into the tech stocks, my loss?

Maybe, maybe not... Although I have some, I'm not too much into the tech stocks myself.JCI has an easy enrollment process and is a good stock. You won't go wrong here...

Thomas
I also am a first time investor and have chosen the JCI drip. Today I received a statement that they have my check and will buy my shares at the next purchase date. (anyone know when that is?) I'm looking forward to holding JCI stock and will be watching this board along the way.

If I recall correctly, it is purchased the last business day of the month provided they have received payment something like 5-7 days prior (can't recall for sure how exactly how soon the payment has to be received in order to make that last business day purchase)

Thomas
Keep in mind that all the company matching for the 401K will be contributed as JCI stock. (I also work for JCI.)
(

That should probably be enough JCI stock for their portfolio. I made the mistake of participating in my company's stock participation plan in addition to getting my 401K 3% matching of company stock. When the stock dropped over half of its value in two years, you can probably figure what happened to the value of my portfolio... If you are getting JCI stock in your 401K, diversify and invest your extra money elsewhere.

Thomas
Stock is purchased the last business day of the month for funds received by the 25th of the month.