Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
New to MF Pro /Options!
Planning to obtain the 6 Buy Now suggestions early this week. I found the Strategy Guide very helpful and made notes. Reading the Principles and North Star strategy made me feel better about the decision to go Pro. I have only tip toed into stock trading on my own, never having used options. Thinking of the North Star I wonder if there should be 7 stocks in the buy now category since there are 7 bright stars in the Big Dipper( Ursa Major)! The big dipper is somewhat ironic too since I am feeling as if I am dipping into personal finance ( especially options) without much formal education. Thanks in advance for your comments and advice.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi Patrick,

Welcome to Pro (and Options)!

Planning to obtain the 6 Buy Now suggestions early this week. I found the Strategy Guide very helpful and made notes. Reading the Principles and North Star strategy made me feel better about the decision to go Pro.

Looks like you are off to a good start.

I have only tip toed into stock trading on my own, never having used options.

To the second part, you have a great resource available in Options U., http://newsletters.fool.com/50/OptionsU/home/?source=isatnvp.... There's a lot there so ask questions as you have them.

To the first part, one of the challenging aspects for those new to Foolish thinking is shifting from "trading" to "investing". You can see this language shift in Pro's 6 Investing Principles, http://newsletters.fool.com/1228/guide/getting-started/how-w....

Admittedly, much of the Fool is slow at shifting this jargon. We still have "Trade Alerts" which would be better renamed "Investment Alerts" or something similar. The language we use is formed by our thoughts and vice versa. Better to use the jargon and thought patterns of long term investors.

Nice astronomy references. Ad Astra!

phooL on!

Lon.
No. of Recommendations: 5
Hi Patrick and welcome to Pro! I'm glad you've found the introductory material worthwhile so far. I'd welcome your (and everyone's) thoughts on what works and what could be better.

Admittedly, much of the Fool is slow at shifting this jargon. We still have "Trade Alerts" which would be better renamed "Investment Alerts" or something similar. The language we use is formed by our thoughts and vice versa. Better to use the jargon and thought patterns of long term investors.

Lon, you'll be pleased to know that after we're done welcoming this group of new Fools, we have a plan to make these changes -- in Options, to begin with. We're thinking "Strategies You Can Start" instead of "Trades You Can Make," etc. Great minds think alike. I agree with what you said about language and thoughts. :)

Best,
Ellen (the editor)
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi Ellen,

Happy tenth Fooliversary!

Lon, you'll be pleased to know that after we're done welcoming this group of new Fools, we have a plan to make these changes -- in Options, to begin with. We're thinking "Strategies You Can Start" instead of "Trades You Can Make," etc.

Yay! Good news indeed.

phooL on!

Lon.
Happy Fooliversary Ellen!
No. of Recommendations: 2
Patrick

I wonder if there should be 7 stocks in the buy now category since there are 7 bright stars in the Big Dipper

Hmmm, does that also mean 11 Buy stocks for the remaining 11 stars?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31466098/Big%20Dipper.jp...

Lon

Nice astronomy references. Ad Astra!

The second half of my motto for 12 years! The missing words being Per ardua. With DE misbehaving, maybe that applies round here too?

Happy Fooliversary, Ellen!

On this felicitous day, can we expect a new portrait?

http://newsletters.fool.com/50/guide/resources.aspx

Maybe with the balloons in the background?

Andy
Ellen,

Happy 10th Fooliversary. Thank you for all the great work keeping the team functioning at a high level. Look forward to many, many more years of great support from you.

Jim

BigOil1
No. of Recommendations: 2
Welcome to the Stars, Patrick

And Happy 10th Year with Fooldom, Ms. Ellen!!!

Patrick, we celebrate a lot around here. Check out some
Pro Philosophy and Social Boards. I always learn something new.

I have Merriam Webster on my toolbar, just to use with posts:

ad astra per aspera
foreign term ad as·tra per as·pe·ra \ad-'as-tr?-?p?r-'as-p?-r?\
Popularity: Bottom 40% of words
Definition of ad astra per aspera

: to the stars by hard ways —motto of Kansas

Standard advice: go slowly into this new light, new Fool...or words along that line. Read Opts U. Follow the live MF Option Make Your
First Trade (or investment). Use Limit Orders for everything you
do or some members will ex-communicate you and beat you with wet noodles!

AND: add this to your toolbar:

http://dollarfor40cents.com/find/writtenput

Make sure Data Source is set to Google, the Yahoo setting no longer works. Notice it is for income and you can change parameters for your
needs. I'm having fun with the Strangles finder at present.

I joined in March 2009 and am finding this MFPro and Options to be a
constant North Star in my life.

This community is here for each other.

Have Fun,
Duwango
Thank you so much for the Fooliversary wishes, Fools! I can't believe it's been ten years; time flies when you're having fun. :)

Best,
Ellen
Leslie,

Per ardua ad astra is the motto of the Royal Air Force and other commonwealth air forces. Through adversity to the stars is one translation. Andy HKSpike a former British AV-8 Harrier pilot noted up board the whole motto after someone posted ad astra. Hopefully, Andy who now flies for Cathay Pacific no longer has to struggle to the stars.

Jim

BigOil1