Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 36
I have missed you....

I guess I should save this for a "good morning address" but I have missed you guys and gals so much that I thought I would just pop in right now with a "hello to everyone" and let you know I have been to hell and back and may be going again. Bad trips let me just tell you that.

I have been in the hospital three times in this months time period. Thanksgiving was held by my son in my hospital room. He is such a sweet
heart. He came to the room carrying a picnic basket and immediately
started setting up. He brought China, silver etc. then came the dinner. My eyes tear up every time I think about it. Ok no more on that.

I am sure all of you would like to know what is wrong with me and why
I haven't been posting. I wish I had enough answers to answer one of your questions but I don't. I have a bad liver problem and NO I do not drink, not a drop except for the non alcoholic types. I will, I think, know what is going to happen to me sometime next week. Then and if I feel able to get on the computer will let you know. For right now though, I can say...... I have been one sick old lady and thought I was dying more than once.

Hope all of you had a great Thanksgiving, I gave thanks for all of you and especially for my sweet boy (man!! but he will always be my boy).

I will try to shout a good morning but if I don't its because this is the first night at home in my bed in a while and I might just lounge around LOL

Blue (who cries easily lately .... have missed my friends something awful) hugs to you all!
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
Hey Blue,

So, y'all're still Alive & Kickin', huh!!??

Well that's awesome news!! 'Specially considerin' I ain't herd frum y'all since a coupla weeks ago when I called y'all last. :-)

Thanksgiving was held by my son in my hospital room. He is such a sweet heart. He came to the room carrying a picnic basket and immediately started setting up. He brought China, silver etc. then came the dinner.

Awww, he's such a good boy!! Y'all give him a hug & kiss frum me, even if he doesn't want one. :-)

ßillƒ
Hi Blue ~ glad to see you back ... we missed you!
No. of Recommendations: 2
Been thinking about you, glade to hear from you. Grateful you are home again. Will put in a good word for you too.

Phred
No. of Recommendations: 1
Blue (who cries easily lately .... have missed my friends something awful) hugs to you all!

Hello, Blue! How'd things go for you today?
We sure have missed you, since our darlin' went away!
And I'm sure you want to spend another lonely night with us
'Cause, Darlin' Blue, we're all passengers on this bus.

(with apologies to Johnny Cash for the metrics)

Love ya, Blue!

Keep on truckin', Mama!

OleDoc
Hay Miz Blue, great to hear from you. We missed you. Y’all take care and post when you can. ;-)

C.J.V. - the holidays are no time to be sick, as if there is a good time
Blue, I'm sending you a Redbird today hope you feel better soon.
Our thoughts of happiness and health are sent your way.

Grace and Peace
Miz Wileys
No. of Recommendations: 5
Happy Turkey Weekend Blue....
We missed you, too....everyday. You'll see that if you actually read the 6 million posts since you took yer unauthorized, unnannounced, and unappreciated leave of absence.

I think this illustrates the need for a contact list amongst us regular whackos. Not much is worse than not knowing. .... it ain't right to come into each others lives and not give us a way to figger out what's up with an unexplained absence.

there ought to be a law that all patients get a laptop and wireless connection.

Thanksgiving was okay.... moms turkey was kinda dry and her sisters boiled or baked brisket was dismal.... but the wine was good.

Friday my island family came over to watch the UH/Boise game... me not a big football fan any more, but that quarterback, Colt Brennan ain't half bad.... and the UH team is, uh, unique!!! Plus, I went to UH undergrad... back then they were the rainbow warriors, so it was go Bows.... now they want to be called Warriors so..

GO WARRIORS.....

...so I did a full load of baby back ribs over almond wood. Basic dry rub, smoke for 4 or 3 hours, then a splash of apple juice and wrapped them in foil for another hour..... they were the best ribs evvvvvverrrrrrr... served with killer corn bread, slaw, and watermelon, stella beer,

.... and a chocolate sheet cake that I 'frosted with (try this guys) <<< sour cream, rasberries, a little powdered sugar, a little brown sugar, and a little vanilla. >>> Just blend the stuff with a fork so the berries incorporate into the sour cream. I swear, you could serve the frosting on its own....

sano -
Glad to hear you are feeling better, Blue. The picniced Thanksgiving that your son brought to you was inspired. That sounds like he really knew that you needed the boost that it would give. Prob gave the kitchen help fits...well, at least the co-rdinater of the meals...

HTH,

B-man
Hugs back at ya, Blue!

We all miss ya!
No. of Recommendations: 5
Hey Billboy,

So, y'all're still Alive & Kickin', huh!!??

barely.... I kept meaning to call you but I really truly was just
tooooooooooooo sick to even think about it for long.

Yes, my son is a great person and I don't know what I would do without
him. I gave him a kiss frum me not you but next time he is here I will
given him a smoogie frum you. I couldn't hug anyone if I wanted to cause another thing that is wrong with me if that I can't raise my arms.
Do you realize how bad that is? It is bad. It is difficult even typing but I have figured out a way to lay my arms out on the table and push the keyboard back and type that way, difficult to explain but for right now its working but I can feel it and its not a good feeling.

Hopefully next week I will get some really good answers to questions I have. Dr's don't seem to really want to commit until you push them with a swift kick lol

Blue
Hi Chez,

glad to see you back ... we missed you!

I can't say I am back quiet yet, wish I could.

I missed you too!!

Blue
Hi Phred,

Been thinking about you, glade to hear from you. Grateful you are home again. Will put in a good word for you too.

I have certainly had lots of time to think and believe me all of you were thought of A LOT!. I am so happy to hear you are putting in words
for me cause I needem and badly.

Blue (trying to remember that there is a higher purpose for all of this but at times have a difficult time figuring out what it is, not time to know, right?)
OleDoc,
Hello, Blue! How'd things go for you today?
We sure have missed you, since our darlin' went away!
And I'm sure you want to spend another lonely night with us
'Cause, Darlin' Blue, we're all passengers on this bus.

(with apologies to Johnny Cash for the metrics)

Love ya, Blue!

Keep on truckin', Mama!<i/>

---------------
Thanks for the song OleDoc, I heard your voice in my head when I read
it. Yes, its true I missed you and everyone and I am happy to have
all of you for traveling companions but I bet when this is all over you
will make me ride the bus alone LOL.

Thanks for thinking of me OleDoc
Hi CJ, the holidays are no time to be sick, as if there is a good time <i/>

your right, it is an awful time to be sick especially when it is your favorite holiday.

I am glad to see all of you and thanks for thinking of me.

Blue
MizWiley, Blue, I'm sending you a Redbird today hope you feel better soon.
Our thoughts of happiness and health are sent your way.<i/>

I was thinking of your shopping excursion while in the hospital. I was trying to decide if I would like to be shopping with you or where I was. LOL Since I hate to shop I was content being where I was. I will
admit that I would have much rather been home.

Thanks for the Redbirds.

Blue
Sano,
I think this illustrates the need for a contact list amongst us regular whackos. Not much is worse than not knowing. .... it ain't right to come into each others lives and not give us a way to figger out what's up with an unexplained absence.

there ought to be a law that all patients get a laptop and wireless connection.

Sano, I completely agree with you. It just wasn't right but I wasn't just right and couldn't do a think about it not even report in LOL.
My son did offer to bring the laptop cause it is wireless but with my
arms like they are and the pain in my body I couldn't have used it anyway. I promise to try never to be this sick again but it has downed me three times this year and they are just now figuring out whats wrong. I may not have need of a laptop or a desktop before long if they don't get busy and cure me.

That chocolate sheet cake of yours sounded wonderful. It is also absolutely revolting that I have to read about it and then look at pictures of Chez John's food and know that I can't eat one bite of it and maybe forever. Makes me want to cry.

Blue (who will be figuring out a new way of eating and cooking and not willing to change much LOL after all I don't want to die healthy do you?)
B-man, what does "HTH" mean?

Glad to hear you are feeling better, Blue. The picniced Thanksgiving that your son brought to you was inspired. That sounds like he really knew that you needed the boost that it would give. Prob gave the kitchen help fits...well, at least the co-rdinater of the meals...

Bman, I wish I could say I am feeling better, I can't.

The Thanksgiving dinner was wonderful. My son is a wonderful cook and the meal was a delight. I ate more of it than I was allowed but hey
I wanted it and it was Thanksgiving and it was the first thing I had seen in days that even looked like food. LOL

Thanks for thinking of me.

Blue
Mike, Hugs back at ya, Blue!

Thanks Mike, I need all the hugs I can get LOL

Blue
I couldn't hug anyone if I wanted to cause another thing that is wrong with me if that I can't raise my arms.

Make 'em come down to yer level, LOL.

ßillƒ
No. of Recommendations: 4
Make 'em come down to yer level, LOL.

Billyboy, strange that I should come in and read this just now. My sweet son just left and he did just that he got down low so I could put
my arms around him. I love that boy better than, well lets see............ just betternanything.....

Blue
No. of Recommendations: 0
Take care, Blue - You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Bob
Thank you Bob...

blue
Hi Blue!
It's great hearing from you. I hope that you are starting to feel a lot better, and hopefully the doc will have some good news for you when you see him this week.
That son of yours is a good 'un!
Take care of yourself.
--JGBFool
JGB, Thanks....

You better be careful you might end up with a heart attack over these games. LOL...

Blue
Hey, Miz Blue,

I'm sending good thoughts and prayers and hugs too! Hope everything gets right real soon!

(haven't been able to log on the last few days)

Oh, and HTH stands for "Hope That Helps" -- even if'n you didn't ask me.

{{{{{ Blue }}}}}

~~ Alison
Alison, thanks so much. HTH's, I would never have figured that out LOL just not good at computer shorthand.

Thanks for the hug

Blue
Hey Blue,

Sorry to hear you are under the weather.

As usual, I'm late to the "party", but I wanted to pass on that I have been thinking about you also!

You are one tuf' Lady! Hang in there. And love your Son! Sounds like a great Man, the way you write about him.

Now, as far as: Hopefully next week I will get some really good answers to questions I have. Dr's don't seem to really want to commit until you push them with a swift kick

I have been wearing these boots for the last 30+ years. The top line in this link:http://www.whitesoutdoor.com/store/sub-category.php?category=Boots&id=Boots%7CWhites+Boots

If that Doc needs a swift kick, you just let me know Hon! Maybe we can get things moving in the right direction!

ez3
I have been wearing these boots for the last 30+ years. The top line in this link:http://www.whitesoutdoor.com/store/sub-category.php?category=Boots&id=Boots%7CWhites+Boots

Hey EZ, them thar is some boots LOL... I may order a pair to start wearing to dr. visits. My motto or was it the scouts, I have forgotten... "be prepared"

You bet I have one wonderful son. He is so
worried, I keep telling him that everything happens like
it is supposed to. He is frustrated and there is nothing I can
do about it, wish I could.

Thanks for thinking on me.

Blue (loves when good lookin' men folk think on her LOL)
My motto or was it the scouts, I have forgotten... "be prepared"

Tom Lehrer's "Be Prepared"

http://members.aol.com/quentncree/lehrer/beprepar.htm

I have time for one more here. This one is a little song dedicated to the Boy Scouts of America, [applause] who seem to have a convention here tonight. The Boy Scouts of America, those noble little... bastions of democracy, and the American Legion of tomorrow. Their motto is... I would like to state at this time that I am not now and have never been*... a member of the Boy Scouts of America. Their motto is, as you know, Be Prepared! and that is the name of this song.

Be prepared! That's the Boy Scouts' marching song,
Be prepared! As through life you march along.
Be prepared to hold your liquor pretty well.
Don't write naughty words on walls if you can't spell.

Be prepared! To hide that pack of cigarettes.
Don't make book if you cannot cover bets.
Keep those reefers hidden where you're sure that they will not be found,
And be careful not to smoke them when the scoutmaster's around,**
For he only will insist that they be shared, be prepared!

Be prepared! That's the Boy Scouts' solemn creed,
Be prepared! And be clean in word and deed.
Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice,
Unless you get a good percentage of her price.

Be prepared! And be careful not to do
Your good deeds when there's no one watching you.
If you're looking for adventure of a new and different kind,
And you come across a Girl Scout who is similarly inclined,
Don't be nervous, don't be flustered, don't be scared. Be prepared!

~~ Alison
LOL, I didn't know if it was the girl scouts or the boy scouts... Now I do.... Thanks Alison

Blue
LOL, I didn't know if it was the girl scouts or the boy scouts... Now I do....

Always glad to be . . .

Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, Reverent . . .

Well, maybe one or two of those, on occasion.

The website used to have the melody playing in the background, but that seems to have gone by the wayside.

~~ Alison
The website used to have the melody playing in the background, but that seems to have gone by the wayside.

It was playing the melody this morning when I looked at it. However, I've had the song "Werner Von Braun" going through my head ever since I first read your mention of Tom Lehrer.
It was playing the melody this morning when I looked at it

Hmmm. I wonder why I'm not hearing anything there. And yes, I've just checked -- the speakers are turned on. <g>

~~ Alison
Alison, and to think I used to be a girl scout, I have forgotten everything I ever knew.

Thanks for the memories...

Blue
to think I used to be a girl scout, I have forgotten everything I ever knew.

Thanks for the memories...

A lot of my memories were refreshed when my kids were in scouts and I got involved as an "adult."

When I did Girl Scout leader training, they taught us our knots by using licorice strings. When your knots were done correctly, you got to eat the strings. When I helped my sons to learn knots, I used that same idea.

For a while, my mother was a Girl Scout leader. She played the guitar and sang beautifully, but of course, I was unappreciative. At one outing, just as she was starting to lead a sing-a-long, she overheard me say, "if she plays 'This Land is Your Land' one more time, I'll scream." Yup. I was in trouble. Again.

The first time my older son went on a campout, guess what song I sang and played on my guitar. Yup. "This Land is Your Land."

~~ Alison
Hey Alison!

Tom Lehrer's "Be Prepared"

http://members.aol.com/quentncree/lehrer/beprepar.htm

Thanks for the "tongue-in-cheek" view of the Boy Scouts! LOL!

Way back in the '60's and '70's that was the organization that kept me off the streets of NYC, and mostly in the "woods" of that part of the county.

It's the main reason I wound up in western Montana working for a federal agency in resource management. Long story, but @ 53 last July, the BSA had a hugh affect on me.

Mileage will vary per person.

ez3
Hey Alison,

For a while, my mother was a Girl Scout leader. She played the guitar and sang beautifully, but of course, I was unappreciative. At one outing, just as she was starting to lead a sing-a-long, she overheard me say, "if she plays 'This Land is Your Land' one more time, I'll scream." Yup. I was in trouble. Again.

The first time my older son went on a campout, guess what song I sang and played on my guitar. Yup. "This Land is Your Land."

What a great story! Kudo's to you!

ez3
When I did Girl Scout leader training, they taught us our knots by using licorice strings. When your knots were done correctly, you got to eat the strings. When I helped my sons to learn knots, I used that same idea.

Alison, I sees a problem with this... I can only tie a "bowline" if'n I have the rope around my waist (or stand behind someone and do it around their waist). Similar thing for tying a Windsor knot for a tie - I can only do it on my own neck while looking in the mirror!!!

I reckon it would take at least a 4 ft string of licorice for me to pass your test for the "bowline."

OleDoc

(OK, the waist is ONLY 38" but ya needs a little more to tie off the knot)
Thanks for the "tongue-in-cheek" view of the Boy Scouts! LOL!

Yeah, I never actually sang that at the Boy Scout meetings I attended. And another thought that sometimes entered my mind at those meetings, especially when Merit Badges were being done was the line from "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" --

Badges? We don' need no stinkin' badges!

that kept me off the streets of NYC, and mostly in the "woods" of that part of the county.

There are some really nice Scout camps in NY -- do you remember which ones (if any) you attended?

It's the main reason I wound up in western Montana working for a federal agency in resource management. Long story, but @ 53 last July, the BSA had a hugh affect on me.

Yeah, there's a lot of good to be gotten from the program, with the right people and when it's done right.

~~ Alison, proud Mom of two Eagle scouts and one Gold Award Girl Scout

What a great story! Kudo's to you!

Thanks!

And you know what's fun now? Said older son and I sometimes sing that song together, trading off who's singing melody and who's singing harmony!

~~ Alison
Alison, I sees a problem with this... I can only tie a "bowline" if'n I have the rope around my waist (or stand behind someone and do it around their waist). Similar thing for tying a Windsor knot for a tie - I can only do it on my own neck while looking in the mirror!!!

I reckon it would take at least a 4 ft string of licorice for me to pass your test for the "bowline."

Well, you could practice connecting knots to attach several strings together, LOL!

One of the requirements for the younger boys was to tie a tie -- don't remember (and too lazy to look it up) whether it was a Windsor know or a four-in-hand (or whatever it was called in the handbook).

One of the fathers of the boys didn't believe I knew how to tie a tie -- and without a mirror either! I showed him! I can tie ties on myself or on others, although my sons know how now -- although I doubt they'd give me credit for helping them learn.

~~ Alison, knows some knots
And you know what's fun now? Said older son and I sometimes sing that song together, trading off who's singing melody and who's singing harmony!

My cousin tried to lead off our post-turkey day pickin wit' 'dis land is your land..' I still dunno exactly what happened cuz I started riffin Iko Iko, but before we got more'n a bar or two into it Purple Haze erupted.... 'scuse me, while I get more pie....' and it was all uphill from there.

Must have been the pie.

sano
'scuse me, while I get more pie....' and it was all uphill from there.

Must have been the pie.

Did y'all have my recipe for “Baptist Sweet Potato Pie”, huuuugh??? ;-)

C.J.V. - I use Wild Turkey init, me
Hey Alison,

There are some really nice Scout camps in NY -- do you remember which ones (if any) you attended?

Well, based on the Red Coat wif' the patches, they were:

Alpine Scout Camp, Henry Kaufmann, Ten Mile River, Baiting Hollow, Onteora, Wauwepex, and pehaps a few others.

Mom never finished sewing the patches on the jacket. Some are still pinned on today. Perhaps some have fallen off over the years. Mom is 74, so I guess I need to finish the "job"! LOL! (-;

We had a very active troop. Two weeks summer camp every summer, at least one weekend camp-out trip every month. Sometimes two! A few times it was even three! But the wives of the Scout Leaders started to make some noise, so it was cut back to at least one.

That was all year long! Snow-shoes, snow-mobiles, cross-country skiing, ice fishing, back-packing, outdoor cooking over a real fire. Still have and use, the cast aluminum dutch oven I bought in '69. It never had those little legs for wood fires, so fits nicely on the stove burner and in the oven.

It still has the "scares" from cutting pancakes cooked on the lid so many years ago.

Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane !

Geez, now I get paid a living wage for doing most of that stuff, and it seems to be getting old!

Funny how us humans are.

ez3
Alpine Scout Camp,

I've driven by the signs for that one quite a few times.

We had a very active troop.

Sounds wonderful! Ours has had some ups, but I fear it's on its way down now.

Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane !

I wish my boys had more (and better) memories, but so it goes.

~~ Alison
Sounds wonderful! Ours has had some ups, but I fear it's on its way down now.

The reason?

Way back then, Dad's went to work every morning. Mom's seemed to handle the family money issues and kept the home fire burning.

The world has changed. That's a fact. The Kids are suffering 'cause of that, in my view.

I am of the view that one parent needs to stay at home till the Kids are in school.

After that, the parents need to rotate on who is picking Kids up after school, and what schedule do you what to follow, as a family, as far as sports, etc., etc., etc., goes.

I have been told, I am too Old Fashion in this modern world.

Something has got to give! Don't know what that is.

Miz Wiley,

You want to add something here?

ez3
The reason?

When I took Boy Scout Leader Training (committee member, membership, etc.), we were told that many people think BSA stands for Baby Sitters of America. Sadly, with the pack/troop my boys were in, more and more parents just want to drop their boys off and pay a check to "hire" leaders. They don't want to step forward to take responsibility for any involvement -- often not even for a single activity. More and more responsibility is being expected of fewer and fewer adult leaders, and that's just not possible.

And often, the boys (well, many kids, in and out of scouting) are so overprogrammed, many activities just become fly-bys or drop-ins when they can be squeezed in at all.

I remember hearing about a board of review for a rank advancement: the boy was 11 (and had only been in the troop for a year, so he was really just at the beginning of the process) and said of course he planned to continue till he became an Eagle scout. When asked why, he said it would look good on his resume. His resume! An 110-year-old shouldn't even know about a resume. And that kind of conversation was a frequent occurrence.

I'm sure there are packs and troops where that's not the case, but that's how it is with the pack and troop we were with. Membership is down, kids don't participate in activities, no one is willing to plan for the activities, so there aren't activities for the boys to do. Participation is down so there is less to participate in.

Scouting isn't perfect -- nothing is -- nor is it the best activity for everyone but like so many activities, there's much to recommend it. But it takes commitment, and there's less and less of that.

The world has changed. That's a fact. The Kids are suffering 'cause of that, in my view.

I concur, but I don't know if it's going to improve. And we're all the poorer for it.

~~ Alison