Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Hello ValueSnark,

Thanks for the intelligent reply.

I beg your pardon? Libertarians certainly do argue against "their minimum wage fetish,"....

I wasn't clear--my fault--but I really meant why are libertarians so hung up on what is a trivial issue. My fault for not being clearer.

You've completely lost me about libertarians allegedly not having spit to say about the Bush bookdoggle....

Well....so many, it would have been nice to be linked to one. Anyway, I linked Thornton, so that qualifies. Where were the real powerful libertarian voices BEFORE the boondoggle was passed? Can you give me one that condemned that? Most of the libertarians I know were too busy defending Bush.

I am no defender of Shrubster's deficits, but let's get real:
it's barely 5% of GDP,...

Right, so you are not including all the SS/medicare surplus being blown by Bush/Republican Congress. 200 billion or so this year. That's why Bush deficits as % are way bigger than Reagans. Not a very good analysis I'm afraid. And I take it you agree with the phony federal accounting--that doesn't include future, certain, known obligations on SS/Medicare. Shouldn't libertarians be a little sharper on these things if they are going to make an effective case against big government--ala Bush and the 540 billion? (10yrs). Disappointing to see such a pedestrian analysis of the fiscal situation.

Canada's markets are doing relatively well because of the worldwide commodity boom,....

Yes, there is always some excuse. What was the excuse when the commodities were in the pits and Canada was still running surpluses with US and the rest of the world? What's the US excuse? Current accounts deficts a bogeyman? Tell it to Buffett and anyone else who doesn't believe in a free lunch.

Thought experiment--if we can just keep issuing US paper let's just import all the goods and services we use and issue US paper in exchange. Oh, that's crazy. Yeah, so when does it become a problem? When libertarians say so?

Do you actually believe that there is such a thing as an economic free lunch?

No, but you libertarians obviously do with huge budget and trade deficits.

You don't provide any facts on socialized medicine so I won't bother with the rest of your argument.

Anyway, thanks for the standard Bush defense. That's about all we get from "libertarians" at TMF. Like I said, nice to see Mr. Thornton is made of a little better stuff. Although, 1 in a 100,000 heard of Russo? I doubt it. Nader will take that vote since libertarians insist on being irrelevant and preoccupied with their minimum wage fetishes etc.

Doesn't really matter, power and getting-things-done wise, does it? Libertarians don't count there anymore because they insist on just defending Bush. Thanks again for the reply.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.