Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

When the property closes request separate checks and separate 1099s.
This is not unusual and makes each of your tax returns independent.

If it has been her home for more than 2 of the last 5 years then she has no tax liability.

You and your sister will need to declare the proceeds of your portion.
If the property was a gift then the cost was your mothers cost. If you paid for the property then it is your cost.

If your mother added you to the title as a gift you should seek the advice of a tax professional. She probably needs to file a gift tax return for that year. Transfer of title of real estate should not be done without professional advise.

She can give each of you $11,000 a year with out tax consequences.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.