Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2

hello3456 something to the tune of:

"So the bank charged you $2 for something that costs them 75 cents. Sounds like it might be a bargain considering the Pizza you pay $12 for costs them maybe $3.
Prices to consumers have a lot to do with 'what the market will bear'.
Businesses do NOT exist to give us products/services at cost."

In the realm of economics, he is right...as banks are money-making entities, just like any other business. All I am saying is that the "double-dipping" of ATM fees by both one's home financial instituion and the ATM owner can get a might bit exorbitant, to say the least!

But then again, a lot of us don't go-around stashing five-figures in checking accounts and chastize others for using these accounts to conduct their routine transactions like it is a forbidden practice or something.

Besides, ATM revenue, though large, is not the driving force behind any bank's financial health. Everyone knows that interest revenue from mortgages/loans, credit cards (for those who carry balances), and NSF check fees are the biggest money-generators in the banking world!

I am in no way endoring the practice of bouncing checks, but you know if a mega-bank, say, has several thousand customers bouncing these things daily (assuming they have a seven-figure number of account holders), and multiply that by, say 5 checks a person...gosh...the revenue is mind-boggling (Haing run my own business and also having dealt with this from a business owner's point-of-view, the cost about 1/5 of what the bank passes-on to the customer).

Just a point...again, I do not endorse this sort of thing...nor am I a shareholder in any financial company...just wanted to state a fact.

GOODBYE, "hello"!

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.