Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

Okay, I'm trying to figure out all my short term gains from my frequent stock trades last year. Several months last year were pretty crazy as I stupidly used lots of margin last year to buy NITE at its yearly highs and held on when it plummeted (learned my lesson] It was a constant battle against the margin guys... with them selling and me putting cash in and buying it back. I'm confused on how to go about calculating my net losses ie. wash sales incurred & what average prices to use. Someone please help me approach this here. The best way for me to explain my problem is to show my stock transactions. On a few occasions, I made multiple purchases over a few days so I just averaged those prices.

7/16 BUY 255 @ 58.185 total 14,837.18

8/10 sell 100 @ 37.625 total 3,762.50

8/23 BUY 95 @ 34.046 total 3,234.37

9/10 sell 60 @ 35.875 total 2,152.50

9/14 BUY 60 @ 34.5 total 2,070.00

11/22 sell 125 @ 46.75 total 5,843.75

12/09 sell 125 @ 43.1875 total 5,398.44

I have no idea. Can someone help me out here. Can I just avg all the buy prices and all the sell prices and calculate from that since it's all short term?

Not trying to get others to do my own work, but some help. If you want to do it for me I won't object though :]

Any input would really help me out. No statements about my investing acumen please. I learned from my mistakes.

Thanks in Advance.

Ryan

Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.