Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Good Evening,

I have always prided myself in filing our own family taxes. But, must confess that I must be 'slipping' this year in my abilities.

My daughter moved her 401K funds of $3600 into a ROTH totally bypassed her hands, as funds were transferred directly from 401K to ROTH. Since her 401K contributions were all tax-deferred, she now has to pay taxes on the $3600.

But, somehow, in using TaxAct...this is not showing as $3600 taxable income.

She received a 1099-R from 401K provider. She received a 1099-R from the ROTH IRA provider. I have entered both 1099-R's in the TaxAct Q&A, and it doesn't show as being income.

What am I doing wrong?

Frustrated Mom Apacherose
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.