Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I received a bonus from my employer Dec 31, 1997 (it was in my account by 31 Dec, 1997 via direct deposit) However it was not accounted for until my Jan paycheck. My employer is now claiming it is 1998 income because it is on a Jan pay statement (with a date of completion of Dec 31). This will cost me hundreds of thousands of dollars in the long haul because it will put my income over 100,000 for 1998, thus I will not be able to convert to Roth IRAs. Am I correct in thinking, if I got paid the money in 1997, I should pay the tax on this upcoming tax form. (feels kinda of wierd trying to move up paying taxes)


One unhappy employee
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.