Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
The April 22nd Drip Report suggests giving graduates a gift of a Drip. I like the idea - "Uncle Bill" has some gift giving occasions coming up. Perhaps a dozen where this makes sense over the next few years. I figure a gift package should include the initial account, a book, and letter from me. I'm imagining gifts in the $50-$150 range.

I don't know much about Drips, but I read through the information on the Portfolio Page.

1. What Stock?

Lack of fees is probably more important than usual, because the best the kids will do is tiny sporadic reinvestments in the beginning. I think direct investing with the company is probably best - a $20 fee at MoneyPaper would be a substantial part of the total gift.

2. What Book?

I haven't read "You Have More Than You Think." Is it a good first book? Would "The Millionaire Next Door" be more inspiring? Any other suggestions?

3. The Letter.

I'll share a draft of the letter if there is interest.

Uncle Bill
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.