Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am in the process of opening an Ameritrade account and it has asked me to specify what type of IRA I'm opening. When I called them, they said to specify a traditional IRA, but when I looked on the internet, it mentions a Rollover IRA, which is what I thought my profit-sharing transfer was.

Please help with this issue - I know I don't want the funds to come to me, but what's the difference between these two types of accounts?

Here's what I'm thinking -
I need an IRA account to hold my money. When I can think clearly, I'll pick mutual funds to spread this money into, through the IRA account. Although my new employer is offering a 401k plan, this will be seperate from that - I won't want to combine these together.

Am I on the right track here?

BA (sweating bullets and short of breath)
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.