Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello all. We have moved to Italy temporarily for my husband's work and while it is beautiful here, it sure is hard to get a job, which I need desperately to pay off all my debt. The interest rates are killing me-is there anything I can do to lessen the amount I pay for interest? My student loans have doubled and I feel as if I will never be able to pay off my credit cards. What can I do? Any jobs online? Thanks so much for your help!!
Print the post Back To Top
Can you get a student loan deferrment due to hardship (living abroad and not being able to work). That won't change debt, but it would buy time.

Otherwise look at US companies with branches there.
Have you missed payments and what is your current FICO score?

Debra
Are your student loans private or federal? If federal, you can apply for deferment or income sensitive.

LWW
it sure is hard to get a job, which I need desperately to pay off all my debt. The interest rates are killing me-is there anything I can do to lessen the amount I pay for interest? My student loans have doubled and I feel as if I will never be able to pay off my credit cards. What can I do? Any jobs online? Thanks so much for your help!!

What sort of work do you do, or can you do? That would help in offering suggestions.

Nancy
No. of Recommendations: 1
No. of Recommendations: 6
Teach English! Its the perfect part time job -- you have something darn few Italians have (native proficiency in the English language) and which many are willing to pay for. Market rates are about $40 an hour for a private tutor in my little town in Japan -- I imagine you can command better for a private tutor in what is presumably a metropolitan location in Italy. It beats the heck out of most part-time occupations on the Internet, which if they can be done by you can also probably be done by somebody in Bangalore for 1/4th the wage...
And when you start teaching English in Italy, you'll reap the benefit of the relatively strong Euro, so get yourself paid in Euros. My wife and I recently had our honeymoon in Italy, and the exchange rate really put a hurting on our funds.
Thank you so much, I am having problems with private student loans-I a m paid up on everything but am having bad dreams about it all-one extra payment could wipe us out. I am thinking about consolidating but it seems to make it all worse in the end.

I am going to look up the companies for sure-just couldn't see the forest for the trees.:}
Hi Debra-no I haven't missed any payments and my FICO core is 650-695 only because I have so much debt, not because of any late payments. Thanks a lot for your help.
Unfortunately, they are private and I have run out of deferments-I was thinking of consolidating to try and get a lower rate-any good options out there?
Hi Nancy,
I am a lawyer but have not practiced in ten years because we have moved so much with my husband's work. I have applied and continue to apply to all the international organizations wherever we go.
Excellent idea! I am a lawyer so I could work from that angle as well. I was feeling so discouraged that I hadn't thought of that-bravo! I will put a little ad into the paper right away!!!
Yes, we know, we get paid in dollars and it just keeps getting worse but that is a great idea-I can turn this around to our advantage. Thank you!
If you have good credit, there are lenders that offer consolidation on private loans. Unfortunately, I have yet to find one that offers a fixed rate.

LWW
Excellent idea! I am a lawyer so I could work from that angle as well. I was feeling so discouraged that I hadn't thought of that-bravo! I will put a little ad into the paper right away!!!

What city are you in?

Nancy
You might take a look at Fed jobs overseas. They are more plentiful than you might expect.